Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Qumeric t1_jees0js wrote

This is not true.

According to Our World in Data, the average American worked 62 hours per week in 1870. By the year 2000, this had declined to 40.25 hours per week; a decrease of over 35%. As of July 2019, the average American employee on US private nonfarm payrolls worked 34.4 hours per week according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

tiselo3655necktaicom t1_jefjz30 wrote

It doesn't make sense to use stats from prior to MODERN history and labor rights. You picking fucking 1870 shows you have an angle to begin with and are trying to distort facts. Slimy piece of shit.

"Using data by the U.S. BLS, the productivity per American worker has increased 434% since 1950. One way to look at that is that it should take less than one-quarter the work hours, or less than 10 hours per week, to afford the same standard of living as a worker in 1950 (in other words: our standard of living should be over 4 times higher than it is). Why isn’t this happening?"

The productivity-pay gap is well known, this graphic is not new.

Qumeric t1_jefml1n wrote

I did not pick anything specifically, I just copied data from where I have seen it recently. How do I distort facts if I simply provide data without ANY interpretation?..

Okay, let's use 1950. Working hours per year in U.S reduced from 2000 to 1750, 12.5% reduction. Most developed countries did even better, for example, France (and it is not the best country in this aspect) moved from 2200 to 1500, 32% reduction. Germany is one of the best, they work 45% less than in 1950.

I do not deny productivity-pay gap, I dispute your claim "we always end up getting more productive and working the same amount or more". This is simply not true.

Although yes, we could work much less than now, we have enough technology to have 20h work weeks or even less.

tiselo3655necktaicom t1_jefn4cs wrote

You are the walking definition of pedantic. Way to add nothing to the convo. Do you have a point beyond minor shuffling of some marginal stats?