Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pitchforks_n_puppies t1_jeg2qea wrote

I've talked to people at Google and all accounts are that they are scrambling. There's no subterfuge behind Bard.

AdditionalPizza OP t1_jeg3ynf wrote

Awesome, can you ask Pichai the question in OP for me, why release Bard at all?

internet_czol t1_jegcgiw wrote

I would guess to obtain data on users, and to obtain data on how users interact with AI for the purpose of improving Bard.

AdditionalPizza OP t1_jegd5x9 wrote

Hmm. I would have to assume they probably wouldn't really need that data at this point, considering the hoarding they have done already. But, it could be just a basic preliminary test to see how the public interacts with bots like this because people don't always post the darkest stuff they might ask to an AI.

I still question why they would risk so much with such an inferior model though.

internet_czol t1_jegiyh8 wrote

Yeah true, more likely just the testing on a larger scale than they could do themselves without outsourcing to the public, but it does seem like with the results I've seen from Bard it wasn't worth it. Maybe it is possible they have a better model not released, and the next update to the public would appear even greater by comparison and they can say "look how quickly we can improve our model!"

AdditionalPizza OP t1_jegloci wrote

That thought occurred to me, I'm not convinced they want people to think AI advances quicker than it already is but I don't know.

Something is peculiar.