Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HeinrichTheWolf_17 t1_iqlhl2m wrote

A lot of people think FIVR will be this massive thing for people communicating with one another, but in reality I don’t think it’s going to play out quite like that. I think that the overwhelming majority of people will just go live off in their own VR worlds tailored to them. Why waste time arguing with people on Twitter when they have no jurisdiction over your realms?

Remember that Black Mirror episode USS Callister? Where Daly creates his own universe with his own AIs from a modded version of the online game ‘Infinity’ and lives out his sadistic Captain Kirk fantasy? I think that’s what most people will do (minus the sadism, hopefully).

But I agree with you, Social Media as we know it is going to die one day. There’s just no point in it if you can get companionship specifically tailored to your liking.

imlaggingsobad t1_iqlr4th wrote

Now people understand why Meta (Facebook) is pivoting so hard to the metaverse. AR/VR is so obviously the future of computing. It will obsolete the internet social media apps we have today. The hyper-realistic VR worlds that are perfectly tailored to your liking will be infinitely more compelling. No one will want to waste time on any other forms of entertainment.

SteppenAxolotl t1_iqmv8cy wrote

That's been in the works for over 5 years.

>According to Meta, the "metaverse" refers to the integrated environment that links all of the company's products and services.

Shelfrock77 t1_iqpq7i2 wrote

I’m still going to hang with friends and family in fdvr tf