Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dr_Singularity t1_ir5vklc wrote

In our paper, published today in Nature, we introduce AlphaTensor, the first artificial intelligence (AI) system for discovering novel, efficient, and provably correct algorithms for fundamental tasks such as matrix multiplication. This sheds light on a 50-year-old open question in mathematics about finding the fastest way to multiply two matrices.

This paper is a stepping stone in DeepMind’s mission to advance science and unlock the most fundamental problems using AI.

TFenrir t1_ir5x4wo wrote

Woah this is a pretty impressive achievement, I've only skimmed, but fundamentally new algorithms discovered opens the door for a lot of really impressive advancements - potentially something that is based on this could eventually create new algorithms to usurp the transformer

ZBalling t1_ir8an53 wrote

And 4x4 algorithm is non-commutative, i.e. can be applied for any nxn blocks matrix!

pleximind t1_ir6cloz wrote

A 10% speed-up on actual runtime performance for matrix multiplication by finding fundamentally better algorithms sounds amazing. I hope this gets turned loose to optimize other algorithms.

Effective-Sir7388 t1_ir5zzg3 wrote

from the blog

"Because matrix multiplication is a core component in many computational tasks, spanning computer graphics, digital communications, neural network training, and scientific computing, AlphaTensor-discovered algorithms could make computations in these fields significantly more efficient"

mnamilt t1_ir73jzn wrote

Pretty big deal, both in the direct result, and in the proof that you can use a game model to generate science models.

AllEndsAreAnds t1_ir6jfjh wrote

Of course they made matrix multiplication into a game. Incredible, creative, impressive work.

Kolinnor t1_ir6jlss wrote

"But it's just a multiplication of big matrices"

ZBalling t1_ir8argd wrote

No, 4x4 algorithm is non-commutative. I.e. it can be used for any nxn matrix. With blocks. P.S. This isnjust mod2 result so not that useful.