Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BearStorms t1_irfu02c wrote

>It would be difficult to get a model to output the same specific teddybear protagonist in a children's book.

Isn't this exactly what Dreambooth is for?

But yeah, the tools are still immature but remember it really only blew up few months ago and the progress has been insane. "Within the next few years" is way too generous. I bet the crunch already started for some and in a year it's going to be a bloodbath for the ones who are not firmly established yet. I'm talking about stuff like concept artists, illustrators, stock photography, gamedev artists, basically all kinds of "visual artist tradesmen". But lot of other visual artists are gonna be just fine, high art, conceptual art is not going anywhere (but many of these artists will adopt these tools as well of course).

FilthyCommieAccount t1_irg5uw5 wrote

>"Within the next few years" is way too generous.

I don't think so. Even if the perfect tool set came out today it would still take time to switch over. The technology is close but the last 2-3% matter a lot.

>I bet the crunch already started for some and in a year it's going to be a bloodbath for the ones who are not firmly established yet. I'm talking about stuff like concept artists, illustrators, stock photography, gamedev artists, basically all kinds of "visual artist tradesmen".

I think gamedev artists are the safest of the list because AI generated 3d modeling isn't as good as 2d stuff right now and 3d artists are also doing shit like rigging and animations. It'll happen eventually, soon actually but not as fast as the others.

>But lot of other visual artists are gonna be just fine, high art, conceptual art is not going anywhere (but many of these artists will adopt these tools as well of course).

Human made art will still exist agreed. Computers are way better than us at chess and yet we still compete. It's just that most art produced for mass consumption will probably be made by media synthesis models in a decade or two.

BearStorms t1_irg7t8p wrote

I mean let me ask you a question - you want to write a small series children's book and need 20 illustrations. Do you commission a regular artist who will charge you $2000 and deliver in a month or do you contract an artist that will utilize txt2img, charge you $200 and deliver in 3 days provided the results are comparable quality and meet you vision? And as the tools get better this contrast will be even more stark... Lower tier illustration market may be completely self-serve and the cost will be virtually 0.

FilthyCommieAccount t1_irgfmmn wrote

I agree I just think it's going to take time to set up the infrastructure and just the awareness that the capability even exists.

BearStorms t1_irghd41 wrote

True. But may be quite quick since the cost savings are going to be immense. And that's what really matters after all. Big customers of commissioned digital art are already on this 100% guaranteed. Like big publishers and what not.