Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Scarro_Lamann OP t1_irjhp8m wrote

I understand that. I don't mean biblical God. I mean metaphorical God! My question is: what's the difference in a singularity event?

DukkyDrake t1_irl90iw wrote

>"Evolution creates structures and patterns that over time are more complicated, more knowledgable, more creative, more capable of expressing higher sentiments, like being loving," he said. "It’s moving in the direction of qualities that God is described as having without limit."

>"So as we evolve, we become closer to God. Evolution is a spiritual process. There is beauty and love and creativity and intelligence in the world — it all comes from the neocortex. So we’re going to expand the brain’s neocortex and become more godlike."

Sounds like he's referring to the potential of the uploaded mind and not physical power over the universe.

PandaCommando69 t1_irkrvs5 wrote

The difference is* God made it (the universe). We're just getting the ability to manipulate it. We'll have some godlike powers, but still not be God ourselves. Maybe demigods would be a better description.

*If you believe that someone had to have created all that is.

Jalen_1227 t1_irl0ig0 wrote

No, there’s absolutely no evidence of a creator and so believing in one is illogical and irrational