Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SoylentRox t1_iti8nsc wrote

I am saying that if we have AGI like we have defined it, funding it is simple.

Also we know exactly how AGI will work as we nearly have it - pay attention to the papers.

The people building it have outright explained how it will work, just go read the GATO paper or Le Cun's.

These systems cannot manipulate markets.

purple_hamster66 t1_itic5f3 wrote

AI and ML have been in use on Wall Street at least since my colleague implemented it for a cluster there in 2015 for something called program trading, which chooses and trades stocks all on it’s own. It’s only gotten more predictive since, and they have billions to spend on it. They also use it in FinTech to predict actions trained from huge data Lakes, because it makes them money, and yes, it can drive funding decisions. It won’t be long until it decides to siphon money off to it’s collaborative AI accounts in other companies. Imagine finding out that a shell company is actually being run by an AI who makes better & faster decisions than any human could.

I’ll go read those papers now. Thanks for the hints.

SoylentRox t1_iticdbm wrote

The GATO paper is one yeah.

HFT isn't the same kind of AI and there is a problem with training them to manipulate markets as the behavior is too complex to simulate.

purple_hamster66 t1_itiimg4 wrote

They don’t simulate the entire market, just individual stocks and their derivatives. But this was 7 years ago and that was just a starting point that they upgrade every 6 months, sooo…. 14 generations ago.

SoylentRox t1_itls3hm wrote

There are again problems with this that limit how far you can get. Market is zero sum. Ultimately creating your own company or buying one and producing real value may pay more than manipulating the market.