Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lawjarp2 t1_itontgf wrote

Have a good financial condition. Save enough to survive 2 years on your own. Likely you will not need much because if a lot of people are jobless, UBI will be given soon. It's a lot easier if you reduce expenses to as little as possible. Most people just spend large parts of income on rent, but if there is no job, no point in living in an expensive place closer to nowhere now. Rents will drop heavily in such areas.

Remote-Ad4701 t1_itoyxf7 wrote

If they mix ubi with social credit score tho, than we re fcked and most likely they will

TerrryBuckhart t1_itozp5i wrote

more people need to talk about this…it will be a neo-feudal slavery if we are not careful.

Remote-Ad4701 t1_itozu0r wrote

Glad u see that... And u re 100% right.

This is more dangerous than we might think and I already see that it is underestimated big time.

TerrryBuckhart t1_itp0lv3 wrote

The algorithms will either be out of our control and possibly destroy humanity, or they will be contained tools owned by the elitist aristocracy.

If they are owned by the aristocracy and oligarchs of this country, you will own nothing and be happy.

What a lot of people in this thread truly don’t understand is that rarely is value created for nothing.

Machines running will require energy…massive amounts. Expect that energy to come from an automated global economic system that likely includes humans doing different jobs they are assigned to.

You earn your CBDC credits for food, room, and if you are lucky some VR credits or cricket stew.

People will be forced to pay obey the system if they wish to take part in it.

Lawjarp2 t1_itp2h4v wrote

'rarely is value created for nothing'. Well hope it gets more common because post singularity none of us will have any real value.

Remote-Ad4701 t1_itp3e3y wrote

U will have no value and everyone will have equal basic income and if u do something above that you will be paid more

I think that u cant really escape that.

Money are already printed from thin air, not gold backed.

Its just matter of time.

Logical-Cup1374 t1_itp58d8 wrote

This is why I've always thought that it's a damn good idea for people to setup a self sufficient family/community home out in nature. That way there is no pressure to rely on society, if it goes down you stay up, if it screws with you you give it the finger. It's incredibly easy to do as well, with how much information and technology is floating around.

You can spend a few days learning how to start a food forest. You can order books cataloging the native edibles and herbs in your area. You can setup a forge and a shop, or even a small saw mill or a textile for utilizing hemp or cotton fibers, get animals if you have enough land. There's a thousand ways to supply electricity, water, and raw material to these homesteads (especially in a community), that is both cheap and reliable. Not to mention this shit is incredibly fun to do. It's like minecraft in real life. And it's possible to setup something nice and simple out on a few acres if you're alone. If you have even 3 people, it's incredibly easy to setup something really nice if you're patient and stay consistent (just like minecraft lmao).

Remote-Ad4701 t1_itp5le8 wrote

Im also a big fan of ecovillages and been planning to open one for very long.

I will eventually do it, just a matter of couple years.

I tried to gather crowdfunding, but that is impossible.

What is possible is one rich person enough to buy land and just sell/rent parcels, rent for just working in EV.

I got people willing to partake in this.

Do u have any place in particular, for such thing ?

I personally am big on Philipines, cuz of no winters, hot climate and abundance of places to go, visit, preferably by boat, abundance of fishing, close to sea and many more, such as cheap land, workforce, etc

Logical-Cup1374 t1_itp6j1d wrote

Im heavily resistant to the idea of needing money to live off the land, but I suppose it's necessary if you want to go around building shelters and fences and not just having seed, song and fire - with a nightly tent shelter. I could do either, but it wouldddd be nice to "own" my own space, I suppose. I personally feel at home anywhere, and I just want to have an adventure with all kinds of people and animals everyday, but for comfort and peace of mind, having that community and maintained gardens to come back to, would be pretty nice. I just wish they were literally all over the place. These homes and society in general just doesn't hit like it should. Our spaces should be fun and adventurous and free spirited, but it's all about safety, productivity, and boundaries.

I'm looking for freedom in the world. Maybe one day we can dissolve our borders and help each other all have abundance. In the meanwhile a community would be a nice starting point. I'm personally broke tho lmao. I'm in north Texas and it's actually quite nice. Proximity to Austin and other cool cities is dope. Haven't put much thought into going outside the US but it seems Intriguing. Hmmmmm

Remote-Ad4701 t1_itp7jba wrote

Well, I am from Poland and I want to move sooner or later, rather sooner, to PH. Life is cheaper and better over there.

Money is just needed to kickstart things. Later on, u are indeed sustainable. Plus u can make money from producing some products, like food, jams, idn, u name it, can be anything. Income is needed, u cant drill ur own gas and fuel ur boat with it, I guess:) Some money is necessary.

Subject is very broad.

I am open to discuss more if u want to. I rly like this idea.

Send me ur fb thru pm and I will notify u, if things start to heat up ^^

Logical-Cup1374 t1_itrwty7 wrote

Indeed, money will always be practical as long as a vast majority is still valuing and using it. It is a really cool idea!! If nothing else I'd love to visit and help grow food and just hang out at the place if you start one. I don't really use Facebook, but I have a telegram and Instagram. Feel free to pm me for them. Otherwise, we know where to find each other on reddit!

Mr_Hu-Man t1_itp2o8b wrote

Could you expand on this please? Would love to hear more info on this so I can deep dive into learning about different scenarios. Thanks!

Down_The_Rabbithole t1_itpcjv9 wrote

I agree, Save up and expect to be out of a job during a transitionary period.

I'm a programmer with a CS degree. I expect all facets of CS to be automated away over the next 5-10 years. It's not a save career at all.

I also don't think investing in AI companies is a sure bet. Not because I don't think AI will dominate. But because the primary beneficiaries of AI technologies will actually not be the AI companies. It will be the entities that will be able to generate the most value once AI technology is in their hands. This isn't software companies that provide the AI technology. These are value generating sectors that are mostly being bottlenecked by human labor constraints..

In fact I can actually see AI businesses go out of business the more they succeed at building competent AI because the technology would inherently get commodified over time which is the worst position a company could find themselves in.

Remember that the companies that built the first railroads almost all went bankrupt, it was the ticket sellers that profited the most. I suspect the same to be true for AI since the dynamics are the same. The companies building the AI will almost all go bankrupt as the capital investment to build the AI is fixed but the rewards of AI will not inherently benefit the builder of the AI but the user of the AI.

That said, here's what you should do:

• 1: Lower your dependence on external producers as much as possible. Generate your own electricity, own your own place, maybe even generate your own food, Get a 3D printer to print your own replacement parts

• 2: Get as much savings as possible. Make sure this is a properly diversified portfolio, paper cash, digital savings on a bank, Government Bonds, Company Bonds, Stocks in every sector, Precious metals, maybe even some crypto.

• 3: Ensure that your job has as much physical components to it as possible. Physical jobs are harder to automate as they need a physical capital investment in most cases. I'm a programmer myself so I'm probably one of the first to go, but I could switch to computer engineering with my degree and pedigree quite easily which would require hardware tinkering which makes me harder to replace.

Drivers, Miners, Janitors, Construction workers etc are the ones to be automated away last, Digital intellectual workers that sit in front of a computer all day to manipulate data in some way or another are going to be the first to get automated. This means all programmers, lawyers, digital artists, system admins, data entry, office workers and everyone else using a keyboard and mouse to generate income is going to go the way of the dodo in the next 5-10 years time.

Ivanthedog2013 t1_itq7pft wrote

How are drivers and physical jobs the last to be automate?

We are already making a lot of progress with autonomous cars And if AI can build cars then why can't they build computer hardware ?