Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

debil_666 OP t1_iu68wjk wrote

Written, by the way, in 1979!

Wasted-Entity t1_iu8v7gk wrote

This is blowing my mind. Up until I knew about AGI I would have never even conceived of such a technology, and this mf predicted it 43 years ago wtf.

Erick999Silveira t1_iu8zpwp wrote

The concept of artificial life is thousands of years old. Some just predict it better than others, what is mindblowing is Brave New World and some other short stories in the beginning of the last century predicting the world we live today.

Reasonable-Room-307 t1_iu6q878 wrote

I love Dick.

petermobeter t1_iu6imv0 wrote

philip k dick was very creative

bmw_19812003 t1_iu78xz8 wrote

PKD knew what was coming, not that he was a mystic per se but he had a unique ability to see what was happening and to put the pieces together of what would be the end result.

He may not of had mystical powers but he was prophetic in both the modern and biblical definitions. If you have never looked into his life or his writings I recommend reading ā€œUbikā€ and the VALIS trilogy by PKD or if your more interested in a biographical book ā€œHigh weirdnessā€ by Eric Davis does an excellent job.

ā€œThe empire never endedā€

Brincotrolly t1_iu6oc9u wrote

And bibleman happened also lol

TheSingulatarian t1_iu77oqz wrote

SF Authors often get things surprisingly right. Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress has an AI that seems pretty accurate though perhaps a little too anthropomorphized.

debil_666 OP t1_iu7sujr wrote

I'll be putting that on my to-read list, thanks!

City_dave t1_iu7xkxr wrote

It's brilliant!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

kimmeljs t1_iu7qu00 wrote

Dick wrote about prescience as if he knew what he was going to tell about

magosaurus t1_iu8dao0 wrote

That is pretty incredible. Thank you for sharing.

purple_hamster66 t1_iu906fc wrote

Where do you think we got the ideas in the first place? :)

KitchenAmbition3448 t1_iu99gsp wrote

There was a scene in one of his short stories in which the man's work setting involved him sitting in a cubicle (before cubicles were really an office phenomenon) pushing and pulling an array of tubes in a certain order depending on what he was trying to do. The tubes transmitted information.

Rather than using the transmission of info to do his actual work, he was using them to play games and communicate with other tube-pullers.

Now he didn't get the "desktop" right or anything, but the image of a person sitting in a cubicle using his work equipment to slag off talking to distant people and playing games is startling accurate to today's modern "white collar" worker on the internet.

TheExtimate t1_iu97jyi wrote

In another time, he would have been considered a prophet.

modestLife1 t1_iu9nc0g wrote

> From its slot came a hamburger,

šŸ˜