Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AssWreckage t1_ivum5x0 wrote

Technocracy is saying "Mainstream economics is a hard science like Physics, you can't argue against it because it is natural, therefore we ignore democracy to favour policies designed by economists based on theories they learned in college".

This is what Technocracy means, and this is what put us right under the finger of neoliberal free-market systems, because that is what mainstream economics teach.

Don't muddy the waters with bad understanding of terms or fringe definitions.

https://youtu.be/ofFR1mD2UOM

SWATSgradyBABY t1_ivvlhx2 wrote

I wasn't going to even bother really correcting the contribution but thank you for doing so

powerscunner t1_ivuxmxi wrote

The 1930's were a naïve time, but it is hard to argue against the tight coupling of economics and energy. Does anything affect the economy like energy?

Plus, it's harder to hide energy use than to hide money use. And I feel like it's easier to distribute energy than money too. The technocrat's whole getting rid of a representative democracy is a bit much - but don't we all wish we could get rid of politicians ;)

Energy accounting (in the technocrat sense) is one of the few alternatives to money I've heard of. My other favorite being an beneficent, omnipotent superintelligence as the only entity with the PIN number to humanity's checking account. But that's still kind of a dictatorial setup, even if benevolent.

I like the idea of allocating energy. It feels fair and closer to true value than abstract moneys.

SgtAstro t1_ivwf2vu wrote

If we followed this, solar panels would be much more expensive.

The energy to extract raw materials from the earth's crust does not factor in the scarcity of those elements. So as a corse example, a salt mine and an iron mine having the same value because the same energy is used to extract the mass.