Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HalfbrotherFabio t1_iwctw6r wrote

That very well might be the case. It’s difficult for me to assess post-scarcity scenarios, not least because, I imagine, the end of necessary labour has significant ripple effects in other facets of life. There is, however, a certain sense of finality to (at least in my imagination) this post-scarcity world, that does not quite sit well with me.

blueSGL t1_iwd2fdu wrote

We are already in a society where you don't know the names of the vast majority of people involved with anything you have sitting around you right now, who designed your chair or desk or monitor, what are the names of the people that picked or processed the food you are going to eat this evening.
Is there some sort of additional worth that part of the process was done by human hands instead automated by machinery?

There seems to be a weird fetishization of hardship that some people have where it needs to exist in order for people to be able to enjoy themselves, they need enjoyment as a break from the drudgery of modern life and if it was given to them all the time it would not be as special.

That I feel shows a lack of imagination. In a world where you can do whatever you want you can take up multiple hobbies, get tired of doing X you can do Y, or Z or A or, AXX or whatever. A lifetime of activities you choose that are rich in challenge and differences.