Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

phriot t1_iy3gjpd wrote

I think AR would be somewhat further along if the whole "glasshole" backlash thing with Google Glass had never happened. At the same time, it's not like that device added too much utility over just a smartphone.

From what I've seen of Nreal glasses like the Airs, I would buy them today if they worked well with my current devices. But even those aren't really for constant wear, yet.

DrGenetik t1_iy75jrb wrote

Glass wasn’t intended to be VR/AR, it was intended as a hands free productivity tool and for ambient, non-interruptive notifications like what we often use smart watches for now. Brin wanted to play with his kids more and play with his phone less. I don’t understand why people often try to conflate Glass with AR.

phriot t1_iy80e95 wrote

To an outside observer, any smart glasses will remind them of Google Glass, even if the actual things the wearer is seeing are more than, but not excluding, the things Glass had. It doesn't matter if Glass wasn't explicitly AR. People were more worried about the camera, anyway. But we're 10 years past that now, so Glass probably no longer has the same impact. My point was just that the reception probably put a damper on related tech for a while.