Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SoulGuardian55 OP t1_iy4xgqn wrote

"Scientists have developed an artificial intelligence algorithm capable of predicting the structure and properties of more than 31 million materials that do not yet exist.

The AI tool, named M3GNet, could lead to the discovery of new materials with exceptional properties, according to the team from the University of California San Diego who created it.

M3GNet was able to populate a vast database of yet-to-be-synthesized materials instantaneously, which the engineers are already using in their hunt for more energy-dense electrodes for lithium-ion batteries used in everything from smartphones to electric cars.

The matterverse.ai database and the M3GNet algorithm could potentially expand the exploration space for materials by orders of magnitude.

UC San Diego nanoengineering professor Shyue Ping Ong described M3GNet as “an AlphaFold for materials”, referring to the breakthrough AI algorithm built by Google’s DeepMind that can predict protein structures.

“Similar to proteins, we need to know the structure of a material to predict its properties,” said Professor Ong.

“We truly believe that the M3GNet architecture is a transformative tool that can greatly expand our ability to explore new material chemistries and structures.”"

camdoodlebop t1_iy6xcb7 wrote

can this algorithm be applied to anything? could there be 31 million new ways to cook chicken out there waiting to be discovered?

TheWorldofGood t1_iy76gzd wrote

Either normal people are 100 years behind big tech companies or 1000 years behind. Either way we are fucked

−13

xeneks t1_iy7q3oq wrote

Big tech companies are people. People make companies. People keep them alive.

The company is nothing without people. So it’s not that people are years behind companies or that companies are years ahead, it’s simply that any individual you look at will usually seem insignificant, compared to a company.

Yet the companies are made of lots of insignificant people. That makes all of them significant, provided you don’t fall in the habit of assuming they are there to be superior to anyone. If you’re looking for problems you will often find them. Occasionally you need to let the companies sit a while to reorganise themselves a bit around changing priorities. Sometimes the strategies change.

An example for me is clothes washing. I leaned about micro plastics. Since then my strategies have changed. I learned about plant based eating. Since then, strategies changed.

The strategies aren’t so special. More of a ‘set of directions and principles to try to apply’.

HolisticHolograms t1_iy7x46m wrote

That’s a lot of words. The point is, people with greater access to this value will wield it over others.

ihateshadylandlords t1_iy50iho wrote

I wonder how many are feasible to make. What’s the saying about Graphene, it can do everything but make it out of the lab? Hope this leads to great things being available for the masses.

!RemindMe 10 years.

grahag t1_iy57vln wrote

Chances are good we'll have molecular additive manufacturing and just about everything you can make in a lab, you'll be able to make at home. AI's will determine if it's safe and as long as you have the environment (seedmaterials/heat/vaccum-pressure/moisture/etc) you'll be able to manufacture it.

lordxoren666 t1_iy6rbe3 wrote

So like, the replicator in Star Trek?

grahag t1_iy7a7q8 wrote

A bit less high tech, but think more like Westworld or The Peripheral.

Replicators are the goal though.

camdoodlebop t1_iy6xe22 wrote

how does a human even go through 31 million materials to decide a use for each of them?

dontpet t1_iy7iro3 wrote

It wouldn't work that way. They would specify a use case, along with the required properties, to narrow it down. Sounds like fun, really.

Akimbo333 t1_iy5cp33 wrote

Well they are making graphene car batteries now!

https://topcharger.co.uk/graphene-ev-batteries-how-far-away-are-we/

ihateshadylandlords t1_iy5qfd0 wrote

It doesn’t look like any of them are in production yet.

User1539 t1_iy60fke wrote

Except that graphene has, quietly, made it out of the lab.

https://www.grapheneuses.org/graphene-products/

ihateshadylandlords t1_iy6698q wrote

None of the power banks are commercially available, one website is down and the other three links are kickstarter pages. There’s graphene foam running shoes for sale, so that’s at least something.

User1539 t1_iy6bvxd wrote

The light bulbs are in production, and commercially available. Apparently using graphene for the filament makes them more reliable?

I know there have been some samples of CR2032 rechargeable batteries sent out, and that company produces its own graphene. Also, the CR2032 are just a short to market product, and they have plans for much larger graphene aluminum batteries.

I feel like graphene gets unfairly beat on because the second it was discovered, it was found to have so many interesting and useful properties the news was literally flooded with different possible applications.

By the time there was even a single industrial scale source, it was already well past the hype-cycle. People just don't understand that most 'new' technologies are just more plastic/coater technologies DuPont has been running for decades, and even the tweaks we call a breakthrough amount to spraying something slightly different on rolls of plastic.

So, when something genuinely new comes out, you have to know from industry experience that it takes years to set up a 'new' industrial coating system, and that's just basically doing the same thing with some slightly different chemicals.

People just don't understand the time it takes to build a genuinely new factory line.

But, there is commercially available graphene, in industrial quantities. So, at least there's a reliable source of it to start working with.

It's happening. Granted, slowly, but no one said that it would make it to market immediately when they started realizing how useful it was.

ihateshadylandlords t1_iy6cpz8 wrote

>So, when something genuinely new comes out, you have to know from industry experience that it takes years to set up a 'new' industrial coating system, and that's just basically doing the same thing with some slightly different chemicals. People just don't understand the time it takes to build a genuinely new factory line.

I agree. I’ve said a couple of times on here that it takes a long time to go from proof of concept to mass production and have been dismissed because I’m “not thinking exponentially”.

User1539 t1_iy6d6pi wrote

Just because we know how to build a lighter/stronger bridge doesn't means every bridge in the country will suddenly be lighter and stronger. Someone has to go out and actually build those things.

But, one can imagine a future where the design of a new factory line is done in seconds by an AI, and assembled by machine.

So, I can see where people, especially in this particular sub, could imagine new factories popping up where the curing time of concrete is the only time factor.

I'm not going to tell them that'll never happen, but having worked to create automated systems on factory floors, I know that right now it takes months to get some basic wiring purchased and installed.

grahag t1_iy56vvd wrote

At the very least, if you give a narrow AI all the rules we know about chemistry and physics and then let it start simulating combinations, it'll come up with some novel ideas that scientists can then start looking at for breakthroughs.

This is the concept of AI imagination.

Key_Asparagus_919 t1_iy4xn0n wrote

Big if true

footurist t1_iy5n515 wrote

True, if big

blueSGL t1_iy545ar wrote

Got my fingers crossed for an easy to synthesize room temperature superconductor.

guymine123 t1_iy5q68m wrote

Seriously, a room temperature superconductor would open up so many doors.

tehyosh t1_iy7s2bc wrote

if you lower the room temperature to 100K and then you can have superconductors at room temperature >.>

DamnDirtyApe8472 t1_iy58cvx wrote

I’d really like to see it work the other way. Where you give it a list of properties a material needs to have, and it figures out the structures of materials that might work

chrisc82 t1_iy7yteh wrote

I think that's just a matter of putting all the newly theorized materials and their associated properties in a database and then sorting and filtering based on what you're interested in.

Alternative_Note_406 t1_iy56cj5 wrote

Well now I have a serious question, that puzzles me. I would possibly be interested to study material technology at university and hope to get a job that pays well. But now after seeing this article and other previously seen "transformative tool" news, it makes me question whether it is still reasonable to study that. If the so-called singularity is around the corner and everyone loses their jobs. Would a degree in material technology be worth something in 10 or 20 years?

visarga t1_iy5b3hq wrote

Time to hop on. There will probably be many startups bringing revolutionary materials to market. The low hanging fruit hasn't been picked yet.

stupendousman t1_iy5da2z wrote

I think that specialty will still have value. The type of analysis, tasks will change.

Denpol88 t1_iy71ed7 wrote

If you think like that you should study nothing cause ai can do everything in 20 years. I think you should study what are you really interested in.

Alternative_Note_406 t1_iy7py7m wrote

It's a good advice to study something that I'm really interested in. For instance, I'm also interested in music or guitar playing. However, this won't make me a serious living. It's just not enough to start a family and to buy a house. So how do I make a living in the future, if AI is going to take all the jobs?

Denpol88 t1_iy7qhsr wrote

There are lots of musicians who earns a lot but i don't know the answer may be UBI

Alternative_Note_406 t1_iy7scqo wrote

Sure, I agree that there are successful musicians, but we can't all become artists and make a living.

It's my opinion, but the future where the humans don't have jobs at all, is not going to make the world a better place. I find that a job provides many people discipline and teaches to live independently.

I may sound a little old fashioned, but I seem not to find a better logical explanation to it.

Denpol88 t1_iy7vkae wrote

Aren't you interested in material technology?

Alternative_Note_406 t1_iy7wcw1 wrote

Yes, I am interested in it.

Denpol88 t1_iy89qen wrote

Good, then it is still a good idea to study it. Don't worry about ai. As i said it will do all the jobs we have. Just study what you are interested in and that can make you earn money.

stevenbrown375 t1_iy81szw wrote

AI will disrupt people who sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day for sure. I’m already using it to help me write ad copy and create artwork for marketing materials. I’m guessing machine repairmen will have job security longer than the rest of us.

grahag t1_iy57jl0 wrote

In 10 to 20 years? You'll be right at the outside edge of being useful. AI Will be simulating combinations and interactions much faster than you'll be able to come up with in a lab. Chances are good you'll still be putting those combinations in practice if we don't have some sort of automated chemical/bioreactor going by then, but it'd be on the near horizon for sure.

Just about ANY career which might rely on easily simulated "what ifs" will be not quite obsolete, but relegated to an "assistant" position where the AI will tell you what chemicals to mix at what temperatures and for how long and you'll do that and be closely monitored.

Same goes for software developers, lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. With any luck it'll be more collaborative, but chances are good, we'll just be the monkey pressing the buttons and flipping the switches.

Numinak t1_iy58llw wrote

I await the day we start to emulate the Jetsons!

Arg! My button pushing finger is sore!

visarga t1_iy5bkiu wrote

> chances are good, we'll just be the monkey pressing the buttons

What a lack of imagination. What would you do if you had materials with amazing properties? What would you apply AI next to? The work is just starting.

grahag t1_iy5o6j3 wrote

I'm pretty sure AI's are creating laundry lists for materials scientists to run through.

Conductivity and insulation are two that would change the world if we can make them of the "super" variety at room temperature at an inexpensive price and simple methods.

stevenbrown375 t1_iy812m7 wrote

Someone still has to figure out how to manufacture the stuff. For now at least.

Hoverbeast t1_iy6cyux wrote

This isn't about waiting for the singularity to come, this is about us all doing our part to bring the singularity to fruition. You'll still play your part, just like everyone else. If anything, you'll be able to help back up or dispute the AI's claims.

LUNA_underUrsaMajor t1_iy5ab1p wrote

Who owns all these new materials, the company whos AI makes it, or the first people to create it, what if in 10 years scientists "discover" a new technology but some AI randomly came up with it today but it just stayed in a file somewhere only known to a few people do they get to claim a patent on it.

Colt85 t1_iy60cua wrote

There is (unfortunately) a whole established business model well suited for this - patent trolls.

LUNA_underUrsaMajor t1_iy62jm6 wrote

Thats what worries me, some AI is going to discover antigravity but it will be keep hidden from humanity

Colt85 t1_iy64o0x wrote

Keeping it hidden wouldn't be profitable; I think it would be licensed.

Colt85 t1_iy658ze wrote

I'm not advocating for this model btw - I just think it's a probable future

r0cket-b0i t1_iy6xq7n wrote

This is great for two reasons:

Short term (5 years) we will get a couple of new materials that would not otherwise be discovered and yet they would be fit for mass production (unlike graphene). I believe this will bring us few cool things in few years.

Long term (10 years) once u can pair this solution with an AGI and an access to production facilities, work flow design and operations u can expect a solution vertically, meaning we not only discover a material but we are at the same time solve for its production, handling and applications and that is where singularity comes...

h20ohno t1_iy7lba3 wrote

Yep, if the AGI can fabricate advanced superconducting servers with 3d printers where it's located it could grow lightning fast, with 3d printed fusion reactors, even faster.

potifar t1_iy6pfc8 wrote

BREAKING NEWS, lol

Shiyayori t1_iy7e3ak wrote

So they test these new materials, get accurate data on what they do and backprop that accurate data against the AI prediction to refine its predictive capabilities.

It’s all convergent.

drums_addict t1_iy7hxcy wrote

Any of these materials light weight and block interstellar radiation?

xeneks t1_iy7qyny wrote

Graphene, other 31 million materials etc, all share a common risk. No way to recycle or unmake them.

I’d be more impressed if the AI could handle cleaning up a landfill of toxic materials. How about ways to take 31 million new contaminants in drinking water… out of the water? I am pretty sure you don’t need more material to reach high numbers of unremovable contaminants. There are probably enough contaminants in waters and soils and air already to pose a challenge for removing.