Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

InvisibleWrestler t1_iyavr0w wrote

I have no understanding of economics. I've limited understanding of ownership of resources. People who already own infrastructure and land etc will continue to charge money for its use. I'm probably wrong or confused coz I don't understand how value generation truly works.

Future_Believer t1_iyberxj wrote

I don't think you have a significant lack of understanding. If you lack anything it is the ability to consider those things in a different context, i.e. the context of the probable future.

Of course, there is a very good chance that the future will be something other that what I or Roddenberry or Kurtzweil envision. If the Manufactured Intelligence my prognostications are predicated upon fails to be brought into existence, I will be laughably wrong. OTOH if a couple of things happen more aggressively than my intentionally conservative guesstimates, I will be laughably wrong in the other direction.

I did not predict the advent and take up of mobile phones/computers. The world wide web was a bit of a surprise to me. Hell, I thought few people needed or would spring for a color monitor. I'm guessing. I hope it turns out to be an educated guess I can't advise betting your lunch money on what I think is coming.