Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Thundergawker t1_j1zm5jk wrote

This. AI art might well be the best thing to happen for artists.

Also it's really good for reference, I had a commission recently and instead of wasting my energy looking for good reference on Google, I just prompted midjourney, and in seconds I had the data I need to visualize what i wanted to make in my minds eye.

Tanglemix t1_j26azd1 wrote

Could you see a scenario in which your clients simply bypassed you and used Midjourney themselves to create the image they wanted?

I ask because this idea seems to be almost an article of faith among many AI Art enthusiasts- they are convinced that AI art in the near future will eliminate the role of the human artist in most commercial contexts.

Personaly I don't find this idea credible for a number of reasons- not the least of which is the fact that very often people who commission art don't really have a clear idea or vision at the start of a project, which is why they hire an artist in the first place.

A commercial artist is not simply a device for rendering images- there is a collaboration involved that current AI image generators lack the ability to provide.

And there is a real problem- at least in my view- with the idea that words and images are fungible- they really are not. Even the most detailed and comprehensive written description of a face is a poor substitute for a simple photograph. No one ever commisioned a portrait by sending the painter a written account of what the subject looked like- because we all understand that the idea of creating art just by talking to your tools is like the idea of playing the piano while wearing mittens- entertaining perhaps, but sadly lacking in the precision required to get the job done.