Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

refugezero t1_j1oq8w0 wrote

It doesn't know what a joke is. It doesn't know what anything is, that's not how the technology works.

monsieurpooh t1_j1ozdfg wrote

Heheh, technically true, and yet... It has broken world records for benchmarks such as common sense reasoning.

An intelligence doesn't need to operate in the same way as a human brain to achieve intelligent behavior

devinhedge t1_j1pwbl5 wrote

I saw a quote, and I didn’t get the name of the chap testifying to what appeared to be some kind of UK Government committee that keeps playing over and over in my head. The gentleman said, “I’m not concerned with how human AI’s are becoming. I’m concerned with how robotic humans have become.”

turntable_server t1_j1pv0v1 wrote

Common sense reasoning is simpler than humor. Reasoning can be codified (symbolic logic) and different types of reasoning can be made into algorithms.
With humor, there is a play on the levels of meanings and manipulating of expectations. Freud wrote a whole book on jokes and their relation to unconscious.

AI can only do facsimile of jokes

monsieurpooh t1_j1r6ezu wrote

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The first AI joke in history was "horses go to Hayvard". It is a perfectly functional joke. That was many years ago by Google's gpt-like chat bot. I am sure gpt 3 and chat gpt have gotten way more capable of this and there must be tons of examples of jokes they made which were actually legitimate jokes unlike what's in the OP

Also, common sense isn't easy and attempts to codify or turn the logic into anything other than what a neural net naturally does, haven't been very successful (as far as I know). The only reason common sense benchmarks got better was because the whole neural net just got better.

freebytes t1_j1r6tou wrote

The jokes were more offensive previously, though. It has been modified to avoid sensitive topics.