Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ItzFlixi t1_j1pgzq1 wrote

your muslim colleague has a special edition quran or something?

AndromedaAnimated t1_j1psi4p wrote

I think he has just read both it and lots of Ahaddith (sorry don’t know how it is written) and understood most of the wording? He is very, very literate, has a degree in Arabic and English (plus social sciences) and a polyglot humanist with extensive knowledge on Islam. And from what I know different branches of Islam have different Ahaddith too? Or am I wrong?

Please feel free to correct me, I am not an expert on Islam at all and if my colleague told me BS I would be interested in knowing that (someone might gonna get their butt kicked for misinformation when I get back to work…).

ItzFlixi t1_j1q2e8g wrote

the great majority of muslims are sunni, they find the quraan to be the main source and is to be taken literally. they take more elaboration on it from ahaddith (what the profit said/did/approved of). for example: quran says we must pray, ahaddith explain how to pray.

since quran says all intoxicants must be persistently rejected, ahaddith cannot make it legal. furthermore, ive never heard anyone argue that alcohol is halal, even tho i grew up in a muslim country

AndromedaAnimated t1_j1q2loe wrote

Thank you for providing information! I guess I will have to have a serious talk with my colleague when - if - I ever return to this job. It’s not cool to spread misinformation. Especially on a religion that is being discriminated against anyway in many parts of the world.

ItzFlixi t1_j1q71bw wrote

i really appreicate you taking the effort to check the information, especially with people trying to ruin its reputation by linking it to extremists. id be happy to help you and answer any questions!