Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BeautifulBrownie t1_j1ptq9t wrote

Anything other than 'alcohol is absolutely forbidden' is far from the consensus view.

nanoDeep t1_j1pzfve wrote

Depends on which sect you are talking about. Which is why I stated that. I'm guessing you haven't visited Turkey which is a Muslim country where alcohol is part of the culture. Sunni and Shiite Muslims have different interpretations of the Koran.

butterdrinker t1_j1q1hsz wrote

Which branch of Islam allows drinking alcohol?

In Turkey most of the population are Sunni, which definitely prohibits alcohol (even indirect contact with alcohol, like people drinking it)

In fact most of the muslims in the world are Sunni

Only because people drink alcohol in Turkey doesn't mean that all Sunni in the world do it

Turkey is one of the rare Muslim countries in the world that went through a process of secularization where people are free to follow whatever religion they want and there are no laws prohibiting the selling of alcohol

For example during the Ottoman Empire there was a tax on alcohol introduced when many non-muslim people became Ottoman citizens - that tax was called 'tax on prohibited goods'

So people in Turkey are simply not following at 100% their religion and there is nothing wrong in that

nanoDeep t1_j1q25h0 wrote

The Qur'an is very specific in what is forbidden. Please tell me the verse that explicitly forbids alcohol. It is a very presumptuous person that claims to speak for Allah

ItzFlixi t1_j1qjitt wrote

"O believers! Intoxicants, gambling, idols, and drawing lots for decisions are all evil of Satan’s handiwork. So shun them so you may be successful."

5:90

BeautifulBrownie t1_j1pzyj8 wrote

I'm no fan of Islam, I left it long ago, but those are certainly not mainstream positions. Just because Turks and Azeris drink a lot, it doesn't mean it's permissible in any mainstream, consensus view.

Don't get me wrong, drinking is based, but to act like it's anything other than a contrarian opinion with Islam is simply false.

nanoDeep t1_j1q0fbl wrote

It was a comment to a flippant comment about a joke. I merely pointed out that some sects of Muslims can drink so that point of the joke is still valid. Maybe time to back under your bridge troll

−4