Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

leonidganzha t1_j22ffcj wrote

>generative AI tools, which, unlike self-driving cars or other long-promised technologies that never quite arrive, are already here and getting better fast

Self-driving has been here for years and has been getting better the whole time. The problem is it's not a toy and it has a more or less long way to go to get good enough. AI generated art is also far from being good enough, but because nobody cares about what is good art, it has a very low bar.

Speaking seriously, of course AI is not a competitor to Hollywood, it's a competitor to the tools VFX studios currently use, like Adobe suite, Maya, Blender etc. And the developers of these tools are currently working on incorporating AI stuff into them. So the same Hollywood studios will be the first to adopt new AI tools, not some random dudes with gaming GPUs.

hendrix320 t1_j23exgk wrote

I think the big difference between AI and self driving cars is safety. One can kill people the other not so much. So it makes sense that self driving cars would be a slower progression

Akimbo333 t1_j22xupa wrote

I agree but I give 10-15 years before the average consumer is able to use it.