Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sickvisionz t1_j18lk5o wrote

I agree more with "changed" than "killed" as well. Maybe 80s internet was different but I've been online since the mid 1990s and that internet definitely wasn't killed.

Forums are still around (we're talking on one). Chat turned into social media. You can still learn things via websites. Search is infinitely better. I'm still able to post music online and get feedback from others. I'm not really sure what got killed. All the stuff I ever used the internet for is still around at either the same quality level or undeniably improved.

−4

Tip_Odde t1_j18rvk0 wrote

Oh, you're way way way wrong. Search is NOT infinitely better, its objectively worse. Its flooded with ads.

sickvisionz t1_j1br8ue wrote

The ads are labeled as ads and there is ad-blocker. When I search something, I usually get what I want in the first five results. Compare that to the 90s where I'd go pages deep or have to be like "I must be using the wrong terms"

Tip_Odde t1_j1bui02 wrote

The top three ads are and you are a liar or you were 7.

sickvisionz t1_j1bvl2t wrote

The internet works for me. Maybe you don't know how to use it.

I bought a game called Octophath Traveler. I faced a tough enemy named Omar and died. I wanted to know how to beat him. I went to google and typed "Octopath Traveler Omar". The first result was was a wiki page about the character and the second result was a page with all of his weaknesses.

The internet works for me. I don't know what you all are doing to where you can never find anything that you search for but I can. You're probably an idiot or something.

Tip_Odde t1_j1bxu5i wrote

lol oh you sweet sweet summer child, you dont even know what youre missing.

Ok-Brilliant-1737 t1_j1agqh9 wrote

The problem of the 1990 is that all 13500 articles on a certain topic all originated in one or two often laughably wrong academic papers. That problem is still around.

But now, you have to wade through 50 ad sites before even getting to the first real article. And the ads hound you for weeks. This is not an improvement

IonizingKoala t1_j1b6nf1 wrote

I keep hearing the concern of ads getting brought up. Am I the only one who feels it's way down the list of concern?

I can find any academic article without encountering a single ad. Ads are annoying, sure, and the whole tracking thing is unsettling, but it doesn't significantly destroy my ability to use the internet the same way the proliferation of deep web (reddit, twitter, facebook, tiktok etc.) does.