Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Desperate_Food7354 OP t1_j3or1qv wrote

Appears to be the opposite to me, inciting the nature fallacy as hypocritical pick and choose.

Plus-Recording-8370 t1_j3ovhm8 wrote

Well, at the end i see it as surrendering to the natural ways because 'natural = good and the way it should be'. And i disagree with that view. Although im not sure if that's what you think here so i dont want to put words in your mouth.

But aside of that, it's not the full picture that you're stating here. We are still evolving, and there's no reason why we can not evolve to become immortals naturally. There are plenty of existing mechanisms to exploit that could help us get older and older. All that's needed is some natural selection and a culture of keeping having babies up to your latest years to spread the genes.

So if 100000 years from now. A naturally evolved humanity that can reach ages far over 5000 years old looks back to our times. You know there's no way they'd think our short lives were the way it was actually meant to be. Just like we aren't romanticizing smaller brains and shorter lifespans.

Desperate_Food7354 OP t1_j3p810l wrote

No. I am saying that natural does not = good, i’m saying it’s hypocritical to call some natural conditions diseases and others not, per us saying the natural healing process of scars in our hearts being a disease yet the natural process of aging not being a disease. Anyways, I think it essentially impossible to evolve for biological immortality as the mechanisms are so primal you’d essentially have to go back into the ocean and evolve again, not just from a mammal or reptile standpoint.

Plus-Recording-8370 t1_j3uu8ic wrote

Ok, i see your point and i agree. It's clearly different from actual disease that are destroying the proper function of our body. it's more of an unwanted by product of evolution. But i wouldn't be surprised that one day we will still call something like,say, a low IQ, a neurological disease. Who knows.

Regarding evolving immortality: I do think that even with our imperfect baggage, there's still a lot of ways for us to optimize by tinkering with what we have.