Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BowlOfCranberries t1_j3vnumf wrote

I'm a current social science student and my degree is 80% coursework. I'm really curious how my uni will adapt to ChatGPT. I hope they don't go back to pen and paper exams. I actually love writing essays, I think it's a great skill to have and it would be a shame if my course gets rid of them.

The University system in the UK is corrupted and broken though. Far too many people, myself included, go to uni because "it's just what you do". Most University courses are oversubscribed and there are not enough job openings once you graduate unless you study STEM.

I really hope apprenticeships and the trades become more popular forms of work/study than uni. Sometimes I wish I took this route instead. Maybe this will be a wake-up call that uni isn't as useful as it once was 🤷‍♂️

LoquaciousAntipodean t1_j3y4zoo wrote

Hear hear! Perfectly said; much the same things could be said about the situation here in the old penal colonies 🤔

Edit: Except that Australian universities have also become bloated and overconfident with the rivers of gold from foreign exchange students. Now that those rivers are drying up though, the bean counters and profiteers that have ended up in charge are really starting to panic and worry

Jayco424 t1_j3zatf3 wrote

Here in America it's exactly the same, basically a Bachelor's degree is the new Highschool diploma, to actually get a head you need a Master's now - or do compsci as your major - and it's still pretty bad, I have one and my pay is peanuts.