Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HotFix6682 t1_j8yh5y1 wrote

Wold be nice if we were all on the same page and nations didn't start claiming space territory.

O5-20 t1_j8ymmzr wrote

Playing devil’s advocate here— wouldn’t more competition between countries drive more exploration? Teamwork would likely just cause stagnation of progress.

ShadowKiller147741 t1_j8ypnyp wrote

Having territorial interests in space will inevitably lead to conflicts in space. Whatever form that may take, it'll invariably lead to immense consequences since things like conflict debris are a much greater concern in space than on Earth.

If, for example, a military vehicle is destroyed on Earth, it's highly unlikely that debris will cause damage to civilians (assuming it's not in civilian areas). That debris will eventually be consumed by the Earth and not be of significant note to anyone. But that same vehicle sending shrapnel and orbital debris around a planet creates a minefield for anything entering or exitting it, regardless of affiliation or alliance.

At the end of the day, you want to avoid armed conflict in space as much as possible. It's why countries shouldn't shoot down each other's satellites, it fucks ALL of them up.

O5-20 t1_j8yrl8j wrote

The amount of debris needed to trap us here on earth is a very large amount, plus, the usefulness of space will drive solutions to orbital debris which could be very useful in the future.

Also, that assumes that smashing satellites is only option used, even when other countries have considered pushing satellites out of orbit or using lasers.

The reality is that progress is derived from conflict. Without conflict, there is no progress.

−4

ShadowKiller147741 t1_j8ys26r wrote

I never said trap us here on Earth, I'm saying that it's still a significant, indiscriminant danger. And I can agree with the conflict driving progress part, but I'd rather humanity as a whole move past needing conflict to get shit done. Not saying it's likely, just preferable

O5-20 t1_j8yseg1 wrote

Hmm, I swore I remember reading that, but I agree It’s definitely still a significant danger.

It would be nice if we could work together, but the nature of human progress isn’t in cooperation to the contrary of how every wishes it was.

−4

Rawtothedawg t1_j8z08oe wrote

I think this leads to intergalactic war

O5-20 t1_j8z0gjd wrote

I’d beg to differ. Distances between planets are vast, let alone galaxies.

Rawtothedawg t1_j8z1i7g wrote

Not saying today. But in the near future after arrival i believe so

O5-20 t1_j8z1xwo wrote

Just for context, getting to the nearest solar system takes 4 years if you travel at the speed of light (186,000 m/s) and crossing the galaxy will take ~100,000 years. From then on, it’s millions of years to the next major galaxy.

Iirc we haven’t even reached 1% of light speed. So unless a revolution happens very soon, I don’t think intergalactic war is in the cards

Rawtothedawg t1_j8z2evr wrote

I just realized what your argument is - i misspoke. I meant interplanetary warfare

O5-20 t1_j8z2ox7 wrote

Oh ok, gotcha.

But I’m not arguing if the war will happen I’m arguing that it is good for progress if it does.

BackRowRumour t1_j8z9jo1 wrote

Agreed. Competition is the only thing that will actually drive it. Decades of genuine altruism have delivered orderly nothing.

Reggie_001 t1_j8yhats wrote

Yeah, well that is probably going to happen after WWIII. Good news, we are right on track!

PandaEven3982 t1_j8ym475 wrote

Would be nice to get rid of nations. Move to a World administration model.

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8yn0pm wrote

Sounds good on paper but that just means wars go from being international fighting to partisan fighting. Humans just simply aren't evolved enough yet in my estimation to make that work.

PandaEven3982 t1_j8ysh96 wrote

In your estimation. Is it off the cuff, where you actually look at psychology, have you looked at medicine, have you looked at making it possible instead of saying it isn't? Have you looked at any numbers? Have you looked at methodologies? Have you looked at the parenting problem?. All of these things are actually solvable. You want to know what's not solvable? Violence-based capitalism.

EDIT: the short hand is you believe humans are too stupid to grow up, so it's not possible. Would that be a fair assessment?

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8z0azx wrote

I never said it isn't possible entirely. I mean I don't think it's possible right now. How quickly do you see current governments being willing to give up their sovereignty?

PandaEven3982 t1_j8z6jrv wrote

I'm looking at 40 years as the total timetable. Ideally, in about 5 years from the stsrt of acceptance. Edit. It's mostly a mindset thing in terms of adjusting. We've built the tools already.

Joe_Spiderman t1_j8z7djd wrote

You sound like you are completely divorced from reality.

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8zey0o wrote

No kidding. I can guarantee them that say, the US for example, isn't going to give up its sovereignty in 40 or so years. It won't even give up military hegemony and barely even joined the UN.

PandaEven3982 t1_j8z8ts0 wrote

Is there a reason I should listen to a troll with no karma? :-)

Joe_Spiderman t1_j8z92el wrote

Imagine caring about how many imaginary internet points a person has...

PandaEven3982 t1_j8za3h4 wrote

Now you want to talk bgp and egp? What pray tell is an imaginary internet point. Teach me.

I'm not interested in metaphors, or similes, or analogies, or euphemism. I am discussing the state of the art in a number of current technologies, and how they apply to the real world around us. At the same time, I'm also talking about a broken sociology, based on nothing but old stupidity. Just because you think drudging for a living is the natural state of human beings, does not mean that the rest of us have to agree with you. Edit

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8zihnu wrote

Do you honestly believe the US, as an example, will willingly give up its sovereignty within its borders in 40 years? They currently have plans to fly the B-52 bomber for half that window.

What about China? Is the CCP going to relinquish power just for your world government idea?

PandaEven3982 t1_j8zm8vs wrote

Not what I said. i said it will take 40 years from whenever we start Willingly, no not yet. But in 5 10 years when we start diieing back from global warming, as China and USA have huge demographics problems, yeah, it starts becoming feasible. Eventually it gets bad enough, we either war ot drown. Humans may start becoming reasonable.

Yah, I think all the short term thinking is coming due soon now. :-) The next let them eat cake moment approaches, and then yup, we might be ready to cooperate.

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8zqaol wrote

I think it's more likely climate change plunges us into a third world war instead of a sunshine and rainbows world wide mutual aid commune but okay.

PandaEven3982 t1_j8zsxrt wrote

And right after the war, maybe we grow up. That's my hope. I don't think the war gets avoided unless we start drowning first. After either, we move forward.

HeWhoShlNotBNmd t1_j8yihxv wrote

Let all the machines do the work first. Then we can join in. Honestly, it will be a hell hole and I'm sure many people will suffer and die for the exploration of the solar system, but the first one would be pretty basic, getting proper exercise in all the different elements you'll be working in. We have steps to do that for astronauts on the moon or on the ISS, but what about Mars or a satellite of jupiter or Saturn.

the_newdave t1_j8ykmnc wrote

find a cure for cancer, and/or some way to prevent genetic and cellular damage from radiation.

Bahluu t1_j8z3v79 wrote

We gotta quit being scared. We are not explorers anymore. Thousands of explorers died exploring and now nobody is allowed to just pack up and go explore. Not even as a deckhand or whatever space sailors will be called

OMGOODNESSWTF t1_j8ykrul wrote

Build an undersea city like they plan to on Mars. Might want to test that shit out!

Dr_peloasi t1_j8yn1qi wrote

Maybe stop destroying the homeworld and get it fixed up before taking the same destructive behaviour out into the wider solar system

Joe_Spiderman t1_j8z7pi2 wrote

You have to take subs like r/space and r/futurology for what they are: places for people to daydream about stuff thats never going to happen.

mechanicalcontrols t1_j8zqy1h wrote

Apparently so. Elsewhere in this thread someone is hard on for "the end of nations replaced by a world administration will happen after we all die from climate change, and that's how we'll go spacefaring peacefully"

Considering the USAF has plans to fly the B-52 until at least 2050 I don't see that happening. I'm sure Ukraine and Russia, Pakistan and India, Azerbaijan and Armenia, and Israel and Iran are all just itching to give up their sovereignty and borders to form a sunshine and rainbows world government with each other.

But I'm with the other guy. Fix our planet because day dreaming about terra forming Mars to solve it is just that: day dreaming.

pcaYxwLMwXkgPeXq4hvd t1_j8yp9cn wrote

I see gravity and it's impact on human body as the main issue. Can we even have kids in Martian gravity?

ChineseSpamBot t1_j8z10vc wrote

I predict there will be orbital hospitals with artificial gravity where you would give birth and raise the kid before they actually go back down to the surface .

Pee_Wee_Mer_Man t1_j8yw5yv wrote

The billionare class. I believe that greed is one of the great filters. The main obstacle to reducing the harm that we do to our own planet, is the interests of greedy rich people. Although a greedy schmuck of a billionare is currently helping to advance space exploration technologies, I think his kind will slow us down in the long run.

Dasf1304 t1_j8yzl65 wrote

We need a concrete set of international accords describing the process for claiming, capitalizing, and changing the orbits of interplanetary resources. Space capitalization would be an incredible step forward for human rights if done correctly because a lot of the conflict on earth is centered around control of strategic resources. The limitless supplies of the asteroid belt would alleviate that stress. On the flip side, miners could get treated like slaves if the companies feel as though they can do that. International law should also maybe be a little more concrete

zxdunny t1_j8yzz9q wrote

We're not going to. Robots and remotes are getting better and better, there will be no need for us to go there at all before long - aside from the obvious need to get off the planet due to things like asteroid collisions, that is.

For exploration though, robots can (and will) do it better than we can.

extra_specticles t1_j8yjcrs wrote

Build legal frameworks that will apply to people who are out there.

PandaEven3982 t1_j8ylrgs wrote

In terms of our microbes spreading around, it becomes a science policy question.

ThatsSoSwan t1_j8z83t5 wrote

There needs to be a cure for cancer. There's a whole lotta cancer out there.

MeZuE t1_j8z8xid wrote

Nothing. We need to GTFO. Hopefully we can get far enough from the crazy. But really, spreading out is the way to go. Waiting for a milestone or consensus is a bad idea.

SpartanJack17 t1_j8zb2rv wrote

Hello u/SkyscraperEnthusiast, your submission "What precautions related to space exploration do you think humans should take before finally venturing out into the rest of the Solar System?" has been removed from r/space because:

• Such questions should be asked in the "All space questions" thread stickied at the top of the sub.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.

Metalhed69 t1_j8zbnny wrote

In pretty much every type of fictional media, they ignore what a colossally bad idea it would be to actually visit a planet with any kind of life without years or decades of research ahead of time. The microbes or other life there could eat us for lunch, or we could carry ones there that would decimate their life. It would be the whole Indians/smallpox thing but potentially much worse. So if we ever go for real, we’d want to be sure that was handled. But as most people are saying, leave it to the robots.

geek66 t1_j8yk9r4 wrote

A self-powered, completely closed system, sustainable biosphere with predicted >1000 year viability. Personally I believe the scale would require 10000 to 100000 space launches from earth based on our current payload capacity.

Granted this is not a “precaution” per se, but if we can accomplish this, the precautions would be secondary, or a trivial undertaking.

Vader_Von_Vader t1_j8ykvmf wrote

The radiation issue needs to be completely solved or we aren’t very far.