Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SwiftTime00 t1_j833kvv wrote

Somewhat out of the loop on current spacex news. What rocket is this for, it doesn’t look like the first stage of starship unless the design has changed? Or is it like an upgraded falcon heavy?

synmotopompy t1_j8363v2 wrote

It's the Super Heavy - the first stage of the Starship which is the second stage.

SwiftTime00 t1_j836ige wrote

Ok, that makes allot of sense, thought there was a new ship called super heavy that I had no clue about and was very confused lol. Didn’t realize they gave the first stage a different name than starship, thought the whole thing was just called starship and it would be stage 1 of starship and stage 2 of starship rather than separate names for both. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

jamesbideaux t1_j838pqx wrote

the naming scheme is a bit odd, the full stack is called starship and the upper stage is also called starship.

sosaudio t1_j85vhl1 wrote

They should call the full stack Jefferson’s Starship.

butterbal1 t1_j834av0 wrote

First stage of the super heavy.

That cool thing that they were flying on 3 engines and bellow flopping before standing up and landing goes on top of this behemoth.

It is going to be VERY large.

SwiftTime00 t1_j835tu0 wrote

So is super heavy a “new” (new to me) rocket separate to starship and falcon heavy?

ilfulo t1_j836shr wrote

Super Heavy is the name of the first stage of the launch system called "Starship", which evolved in its design from the 2016 ITS and 2018 BFR. The second stage is also called "Starship" (hence the confusion, sometimes) which is stacked on top of super heavy.