Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ragnar_DanneskjoldSr t1_ja1i6vc wrote

Taxpayer funding of such endeavors is not the hill you want to die on. The entire miniature electronic world we live in now is completely due to the moonshot. And about 36 people are monetizing it. The taxpayer has been fucked over time and time again. Case in point The current situation with Moderno grossing over 36 billion on the vaccine +10,000,000,000 paid by the taxpayer upfront and paying a $400 million fine on government research that is essential to their product. It's morally bankrupt and any civilized society would either criminalize or under no circumstances, accept such behavior

harkuponthegay t1_ja1ub0p wrote

I don’t understand your gripe here— the taxpayers are benefitting from the miniature electronic world existing— that is no small benefit, and it is enjoyed in equal measure by everyone. We all get to live in a world with better technology. In my opinion that’s worth the small percentage of my income that went towards those efforts.

If you are upset that there are people or companies that are reaping more of the profits from those technologies, then that is a complaint against capitalism… not science/technology or government investment and support for these things.