Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Oldleggrunt t1_j9jsj82 wrote

The scariest concept in the universe is that I, a mere transitional spark of awareness, am actually a manifestation of the universe observing itself.

[deleted] t1_j9jvqw7 wrote

Here’s Tom with the weather

printers_rock t1_j9k5adk wrote

One of Hicks' most brilliantly succinct and profound bits.

00Shambles t1_j9k7unb wrote

This quote was dropped on a similar thread in the DMT sub yesterday, it just works so well

[deleted] t1_j9k85uc wrote

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs …

tuokcalbmai t1_j9kai33 wrote

Wwwhhhheeeeeeewwwww wwwwwoooooooossssshhhhhh

[deleted] t1_j9ked4u wrote

ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzz

Zip Zzzzp

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zip zip zip zip zip

ItsScaryTerryBitch t1_j9kawj0 wrote

Pry. Ing. O. Pen. My. Third. Eye.

[deleted] t1_j9msu2m wrote

But the eyes seem so familiar Like phosphorescent desert buttons Singing one familiar song

[deleted] t1_j9mt0ju wrote

It’s not a war on drugs it’s a war on personal freedom keep that in mind at all times

The_Bald t1_j9k3v1p wrote

Every time I light one of my farts on fire I am reminded that in this brief moment of burning gas, I carry within me the power of a star.

BludgeIronfist t1_j9k4oeu wrote

Quantum probability wave fronts! Sorry, am reading Dan Simmons...

ubi8181818 t1_j9jktoy wrote

That my brain will never be able to even comprehend the vastness of it 🤯

SpaceCinema_ OP t1_j9jpmes wrote

Same. I cant even comprehend the vastness of our own oceans, so how can I possible comprehend that their are billions of entiry star systems with their own strange planets only in our galaxy and THEN there are billions of other galaxies with billions of star systems with planets so strange we cant even understand and THEN there could be also other universes with other physics. Like wtf

ubi8181818 t1_j9jq3rk wrote

My thoughts exactly. Even thinking about the number 1 billion in terms of seconds.....1 million seconds is 11 and a half days...1 billion seconds is over 31 years....billions of galaxies......mind blown.

Andromeda321 t1_j9jwkvu wrote

I don’t know I always really like this part. Always something new to uncover! :)

ActualMis t1_j9k0pd3 wrote

That's ok, the vastness of the universe will never be able to comprehend the human brain.

brit_motown t1_j9k6fes wrote

Yes you might think it's a long way down to the shops

MovingFjordward t1_j9jl9ld wrote

When you're walking barefoot on a clean, dry surface and then suddenly step in a liquid you weren't expecting.

SpaceCinema_ OP t1_j9jp3es wrote

thats definitly the worst of all.

brit_motown t1_j9k6yi7 wrote

Warm and poo smelly is worse especially squeezing between your toes

[deleted] t1_j9jvxeu wrote

With new fresh clean socks on

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

philbar t1_j9jxyqv wrote

“Piss or ice cube” is a fun game to play with your puppy… until you start getting further from the fridge. It’s similar to “stick or poo”.

Ill-Video840 t1_j9jm9iv wrote

Its so big.. im scared of it.. im so tiny to everything

deebmaster t1_j9jydy1 wrote

and the craziest part is how massive you are to not only your cells, but the proteins within them and the amino acids which make them up and the atoms which make them up and the subatomic particles which comprise those. The scale of matter is terrifying.

p00Pie_dingleBerry t1_j9jy30s wrote

I dunno man there are some things that are pretty frikkin small…

bewarethes0ckm0nster t1_j9jyt3g wrote

But there is a finite amount of smallness before things get to be as small as it is possible to be. I watched a documentary on infinity and it did I’m whether infinity is large or small, but I also watched a documentary on the theory that we are all just existing inside a simulation and that claimed that we have discovered the finite amount of smallness that makes up everything, essentially our “pixels” and that it just simply doesn’t get any smaller then that. So the conclusion I have drawn is that things get much infinitely bigger than they can get finitely smaller.

p00Pie_dingleBerry t1_j9k1kow wrote

There is a fascinating Radiolab about this topic that you should check out. It’s called The Middle of Everything, and it discusses what the “middle” size is for everything in the universe.

Ill-Video840 t1_j9jz929 wrote

Can you link the videos please?

Andromeda321 t1_j9jzixd wrote

For what it’s worth, we are small, but we are still a part of it all! I just always find it so exciting and wonderful to be part of a universe filled with such a grand scale of incredible things, and to be able to see and try to comprehend it. After all, despite all that vastness and looking we are still the only part of the universe we know of capable of looking back, and IMO that makes us pretty special. :)

kindadaft t1_j9jlh50 wrote

The false vacuum thing. I don’t really understand it.

Andromeda321 t1_j9jwi99 wrote

Astronomer here! “The false vacuum thing” is a scientific hypothesis that our universe is actually in a false phase state as part of a larger universe, like if it were in a temporary thing (think the real universe is a pot of boiling water, and we are just within a bubble forming at the bottom of the pot). Eventually however that false vacuum has to pop- yes, even after billions of years in this false state!- and we and everything we know in our visible universe will disappear in an instant with no warning whatsoever and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sweet dreams!

gottahavewine t1_j9jy2zz wrote

Well, there are much worse ways to go!

TheCowzgomooz t1_j9k1iz9 wrote

This was for real my thought. I was like "That's it? That's the theory? That sounds a rather peaceful way to go." There's no need to fear something we have no way of predicting much less knowing if it's even true.

brit_motown t1_j9k64oh wrote

Yes like the coming of the great white handkerchief

Verksin t1_j9kpsue wrote

i love it i love how outlandish this is

its not boring

Rustyducktape t1_j9jpl13 wrote

Yes! Couldn't remember what the heck it was called, was trying to search online to find what it was haha, then was like wait its probably already commented somewhere here. I also don't fully grasp the idea, which definitely adds to the scariness haha. Not something I worry about, but definitely one of those things that makes you shiver a bit when reading about it.

As for actual objects we know about, I'd say pulsars as they're just giant death rays lol.

NerdLifeCrisis t1_j9jmzqt wrote

The vastness of the ocean gives me anxiety, so dont get be started on the universe

Historical_Exchange t1_j9jogcm wrote

What are your thoughts on giant space sharks?

blueangel93 t1_j9jzimj wrote

Somehow a lake with crystal clear and calm water is even creepier for me.

Shadowtirs t1_j9jlcc6 wrote

I mean spending eternity getting ripped apart by a black hole is pretty terrifying.

ArchonIroh t1_j9jqt57 wrote

I think only an outside observer could potentially see you at rest on an event horizon assuming you could survive there.

From your perspective I imagine once past the EH you'd be consumed by the singularity at FTL speed

-BluBone- t1_j9jo6vx wrote

The likely scenario in which all energy and heat in the universe dies and the endless bleak, lifeless, and light-less eternity that follows.

Viperise t1_j9jrtvx wrote

Carrington Event - Could realistically happen and would be absolutely devastating

KarateFace777 t1_j9jxyq9 wrote

This is the one for me. And what scares me is that I can never find a general consensus on how bad it would affect us. I’ve heard people confidently say we would be fucked back to the pre-electricity days for years until we rebuilt the entire electric grid. And I’ve heard people confidently say “we would be without power for like a week.”

And the fact that I can’t find any concrete consensus on the matter makes me think we aren’t prepared enough for the next Carrington event. It’ll happen again, that’s a certainty. But we don’t know when.

EDIT: Well, bad news. I looked up the most recent consensus on the matter. If it happened today it would most likely lead to a years long power outage costing trillions of dollars to repair and all satellites would be toast and we would be in the Stone Age for a few years or more. Well, I wish I don’t look into that for the first time in awhile lol. Now my irrational (but justified) fear of one happening is back online.

Also, the National Academy of Sciences said that the odds of having another Carrington Event happen before 2029 is 1.9 percent….so, a one in 50 chance. But that’s just for the next 6 years…not a fan of those odds. Would be better if they said 1/1000 chance.

The_Bald t1_j9k56mc wrote

You're toting around some big, doomer energy there my friend. The Earth could be eradicated by any random cosmic event that we lack the ability to predict. Poisoning your present with a future you cannot know is a real waste of the tiny bit of time you have here in this universe.

Next time I would advise you not give in to that urge to look into these sorts of things, not until you can accept there's no point in getting bent out of shape by the unpredictability of life. You are alive today -- if you can find some way to enjoy even a fraction of it then you have won. This isn't some toxic positivity spiel, this is a reminder to take care of and be aware of yourself.

tuokcalbmai t1_j9kb790 wrote

It seems like you are coming from a place of compassion, but at the same time are you gatekeeping fear? That’s messed up. Existential dread is for everyone.

The_Bald t1_j9kjuh9 wrote

>I'm not sure if this absurd thing I came up with is actually what you meant, but just in case it is, here is what I would say about it if I was right.

That aside, no, not at all. Fear is, as you say, very natural. Intentionally looking into topics you know will upset you is not. That's why I referenced doom-scrolling with 'doomer energy'. They start off their comment lamenting about how afraid of this thing they are, then come back and say "bad news everyone, it's actually really bad. This thing that might happen would ruin our lives, destroy society, and it could happen!". That's not just fear. If we're in the sport of irrationally reading into things -- I'd call that fear-mongering.

Me cautioning them against seeking out information that will upset them is not gatekeeping, it is very much me looking out for someone who does not seem to be doing too well. It is what we all have to do in the information age and the subset of social media.

Viperise t1_j9k2t72 wrote

Yeah.. I really try not to think about it. The first time I read about it, I thought about it for months. We would be absolutely fucked, I could see society falling apart

_catkin_ t1_j9mczfe wrote

The pandemic has shown us a taster of what it’d be like.

AcerVentus t1_j9jlenq wrote

Gamma ray bursts.

Neutron Stars.

Rogue Planet X.

The hercules-corona borrealis great wall (note: under current understanding of space should not exisit).

The great attractor.

​

There are more, but I think these "objects" are really interesting.

SpaceCinema_ OP t1_j9jqk19 wrote

No black holes? Just imagine the insane size of a TON 618.

always_bored t1_j9jqfrl wrote

What is the universe expanding in to? What's on the outside of it? What's on the outside of that? It makes me feel uneasy and annoyed that I will never know.

oktaS0 t1_j9jvvpl wrote

To ease your mind, even if humanity lives for a million more years, I doubt we will ever know what's outside the universe. It's just so vast, we'll probably never even leave our galaxy as a species, the space between our galactic neighbors is too vast. Let alone traveling between galactic clusters.

But sometimes, not knowing everything is alright too. Our lives are a mere speck when compared to the life of the universe.

always_bored t1_j9jwn89 wrote

It's just wild trying to conceptualize the scope of all existence and all the layers there could be moving outwards infinitely. Even if I got an answer to the what I would still wonder about the why. It's just a trippy thing to think about I guess.

Andromeda321 t1_j9jx7ar wrote

Astronomer here! The universe isn’t expanding into anything. I think the reason a lot of people have trouble with this is a lot of analogies rely on a smaller 3D object expanding (like raisin bread in an oven that is baking, and the galaxies are like raisins in the loaf going away from each other- true but gives the wrong impression as a whole).

Instead, I think it’s easier to grasp if you imagine a number line: 1, 2, 3, …, infinity. Now let’s double the numbers in it: 2, 4, 6, …, infinity. You have made the values in your number line twice as big, but it still has the same number of numbers! That is what the expansion of the universe is like- not expanding into anything, just the thing itself is growing.

Hope that helps!

whaaatheheck t1_j9jsnih wrote

Humans. Self destruction of home planet for greed and power. Stupid.

macrohard_onfire2 t1_j9jwu1v wrote

I often say to myself that a lot of the problems in the current age can be boiled down to either evolution or European colonialism

Slaughter_the_Good t1_j9jtp95 wrote

Gamma Ray Burst. Can’t even see the thing until it hits. Then BAM everything and everyone is beef jerky.

turbolag87 t1_j9jlyep wrote

my biggest fear would be a rouge planet hitting us :O

NerdLifeCrisis t1_j9jmw7h wrote

What if the planet wasn't wearing any rouge, would it be less scary? :)

Trenin23 t1_j9jxcoi wrote

I think it would be even scarier. One with makeup is probably here to help us.

NerdLifeCrisis t1_j9jxspm wrote

Good point, they wouldnt have gone to all that trouble with makeup if they were here for dirty work

DriedGreen t1_j9jsno3 wrote

More likely to not hit but mess up orbits.

StatusQuotidian t1_j9k03ab wrote

This is the truly scary scenario. Or any object with a very large mass passing through our solar system.

dc551589 t1_j9jqbuo wrote

Molecular clouds. That’s not a void in space, you’re seeing. It’s one of the coldest and darkest places in the universe.

Also, bow shock. It’s literally a star’s forceful making a wake through interstellar dust.

Black holes, of course.

Gamma ray bursts. This article is about one that was pointed straight at us last year, but we were far enough away for it to just tickle our atmosphere. The second picture is essentially looking down the barrel of the biggest gun in the universe.

Andromeda321 t1_j9jxxgw wrote

Astronomer here! The GRB one is a bit misleading- dozens and dozens of them are pointed at us each year, they’re just so far away that it doesn’t matter. If they weren’t pointed at us we would never see them.

As for how close one has to be for it to matter, it has to be a few thousand light years or so (I think 6-8,000). We know this area very well when it comes to the census of big enough stars about to go supernova, and there just aren’t really any that pose a threat of exploding soon. The one potential exception, Eta Carinae, has its poles not pointed at Earth, and a GRB is a very beamed object just a few degrees wide, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

For further context, a galaxy our size has a GRB maybe once every million years or so, and even THEN it has to be close enough/ perfectly aligned. They’re just not that common!

Sunflower_After_Dark t1_j9jt1wc wrote

I don’t fear black holes, I believe the universe as we see it, is in one. There’s probably an entire universe in every black hole. I fear the Sun the most because our existence depends on it. If it starts acting up, the outrageous price of eggs won’t seem so important anymore.

ChrisARippel t1_j9jnfjx wrote

Horror movies never scare me because, for some reason, I always am aware the action is occurring on a screen, not in my personal space.

In am awed by the power of supernovae and supermassive black holes, but I am aware of the vastness of space and time which keeps these objects away from Earth. The vastness of space is our ally against these destructive objects. To me, there are no scary objects in space.

Andromeda321 t1_j9jyz5u wrote

Astronomer here! The funny thing I’ve discussed with my colleagues is you don’t really find many astronomers scared about the universe and things in it. Which makes sense- it’s probably somewhat self-selecting that you don’t go into a profession where you have to think regularly about things that scare you.

That said, I do have one colleague who once confessed to us that he freaked out for awhile after a lecture on the multiverse- what scared him was he spent all this time learning physics for our universe and thinking we know some things to be constant… but that would all be wrong and worthless in an infinite number of universes if there’s a multiverse! Personally, I thought that was endearing- this universe doesn’t phase him, but the concept of other ones was too much. :)

Mind, doesn’t mean I am not afraid of things- I have a serious fear of dying, because I love living and exploring the universe and hate to think that will end. It’s also the only problem I can think of where I can’t work towards a solution, so that is likely part of it.

IamEclipse t1_j9k61s2 wrote

I'm right there with you on the dying thing. I've come to terms with it (nice and early in my life, thankfully), but it still sucks.

Like I just want to hang out forever. I'm not too bothered about changing the world, I just like the idea of making art and reading books and making friends for a few millenia.

It sucks, but it encourages me to try and enjoy every day, because whilst the universe is very scary, our time conscious in it is limited.

How do you go about easing your death anxiety, if you don't mind me asking?

Andromeda321 t1_j9ka97n wrote

I can't say I have much beyond "keeping so busy that I don't have time to think about it". That's probably not healthy long-term and I should discuss further with someone for better skills.

Good luck, fellow wanderer.

IamEclipse t1_j9kbg3x wrote

Oh, believe me, I've been there, done that (still do).

What helped for me was a mix of things.

• First, just talking to people about it - friends, family, whoever will listen. It's not an easy subject to broach, but everyone has thoughts on it, and it feels better to know we're all in this together.

• I also went on a bit of an existential media binge, and that helped, here's what helped the most:

Outer Wilds (Video Game)

SpiritFarer (Video Game)

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once (Movie)

The Good Place (TV Show)

Why Fish Don't Exist by Lulu Miller (Book)

• The thing that has helped most for me is jorunaling. My fear of death stemmed from fear of time escaping me - the thought of blinking and being at the end terrifies me to my core. So, every day *for the past 2 years), I've grabbed time by the neck, told to slow the hell down, and chronicled how I've used it. It's not the most interesting life, but I do feel much better.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and you can utitilise some of the advice. Lord knows you've helped me understand plenty of space stuff through your comments.

Auirom t1_j9jrlxc wrote

Dormant black holes. You'll never see it coming.

Drakeytown t1_j9jsoy4 wrote

That intelligence can develop when certain kinds of planets orbit certain kinds of stars at certain distances.

jamx02 t1_j9ju6hc wrote

Quasars. The accretion disks that surround their central engine black holes emit radiation that can outshine the entire galaxy cluster in which they reside. In fact, these disks can produce more light than tens of trillions of our suns combined. The energy output of quasars can even surpass that of entire galaxies merging, and they are more powerful than the peak of a supernova, emitting a continuous stream of energy.

Downtown-Arrival7774 t1_j9jvbar wrote

Humanity’s obsession with killing itself and everything else…

spinespinespines t1_j9jyyzd wrote

The fact that we can see into the depths of the past by observing ancient light. What is this witchcraft?

[deleted] t1_j9k6qo1 wrote

Honestly the scariest thing in the universe is seeing an animal being brutally eaten alive. Sure there are existential fears, but an animal being eaten is grounding, and as a living creature, that could be eaten, it should scare you. Death in general is probably most peoples greatest fear

All these people bringing up oort clouds, black holes and the vastness of space alienate themselves from the very real , human reality that we are all about to die soon and we have no idea what that means, probably oblivion

So being excruciatingly torn to shreds by a massive terrifying bear and being cast into nothingness is probably the scariest prospect

Ah nvm just realized im in r/space, so i get it. My point stands

Chimpgainz t1_j9jrwlg wrote

I don’t know why everyone seems to think black holes are holes and not spherical objects no different than a planet with its accretion disk. Only way more powerful and complex. I feel like black holes are objects. I feel like they are hollow objects that are so black they can’t reflect light when observing from the outside, but can see everything outside of it from the inside. No different than tinted windows on a car. I feel like the accretion disk is harnessing the energy of the universe in the space it’s in. And it’s doing so as means to generate the galaxy it’s the center of. And so when astrophysicists show the galaxy as this spiral from its center. I feel like this spiral is spiraling both directions simultaneously. And the more I think about this the more terrifying it becomes because it points to the likelihood of it not being something naturally spawning of the universe, but instead something made it and put it there. Something intelligent. It’s almost as if blackholes are the gatekeepers if you will. Gatekeepers of what? Who knows. But the more I think about it the more obvious this becomes. If a black hole is how I describe it might be, it gives it the utility of being able to watch what’s happening in its galaxy, its past, present, and even possible future, at any moment, from the inside, at any time, as if it was happening right in front of whoever or whatever was observing it. Think of it like a crystal ball. But instead of gazing into it from the outside, you’re on the inside in the center gazing all around out. And maybe it’s generating the galaxy. Maybe that’s how timelines are generated. From the object that is Intelligent in design harnessing all the power of space to make time. And we experience time. Maybe the black hole is evidence of an object/ device manufactured with the potential of quantum computing and artificial intelligence, maybe a black hole is a highly complex artificially intelligent quantum computing simulator machine that simulates reality as the milky way galaxy as we know it. Maybe. Who knows.

zorbiburst t1_j9juvc8 wrote

The "wormhole" sci fi depiction of black "holes" as literal holes in space/spacetime is cool, that's probably all there is to it.

Is it generally accepted that they're as you described, not holes but just really dense spheres with gravity so strong even light doesn't escape?

clarification: I am whatever is even less informed than a layman

macrohard_onfire2 t1_j9jwbit wrote

I have only a 20%ish idea of what I just read.

But hey, I guess the one thing you can know for sure is that nobody knows fucking anything for sure.

studiocrash t1_j9khix5 wrote

That’s a lot of “maybe”’s and what if’s. I suggest reading up on the subject of black holes. There are a lot of answers to your questions already out there in scientific literature, including stuff written for non-scientists. For some short, we’ll explained videos I recommend checking out h this YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/@pbsspacetime.

Chimpgainz t1_j9x0b51 wrote

I understand how black holes are taught. I’m simply speculating without limits. I don’t know anything, and so I just think, wonder, and laugh as I explore freely the quantum potential of possibilities without limitations.

As far as I’m aware nobody describes black holes how I just speculated, especially the hollow inside. I basically was saying that black holes might actually be some piece of technology from some transcended species that figured out everything humans are not even aware to yet in physics.

I was basically saying the galaxy is a simulation and the black hole is the device that machines/ simulates the simulation known as reality. I was not calling the black hole a planet or a star.

I was comparing it to one. Basically implying no white holes exist, so no wormhole into another universe. Basically explaining that when you’re inside of it you can see everything in the galaxy all happening at once.

Meaning that on the outside it’s the size of the black hole humans can see, but on the inside it could function like something that is so massive that it seems infinite.

No different than how humans experience the universe already. Imagine holding a tennis ball. Now look at everything around you. And imagine you and everything around you, but inside that tennis ball.

Basically implying fractal geometry. I mean what we experience as the universe might be the size of a marble to whatever is containing it, and we would have no idea. Again. Pure speculation and wonder. Nothing factually accurate. Didn’t intend for it to be. I though it was obvious.

studiocrash t1_j9xeg72 wrote

Okay. That’s fine. From my way of thinking, I would rather speculate and kinda dream “what if” scenarios about topics that aren’t already pretty well understood. For example I’m super curious about things like dark energy, dark matter, and quantum entanglement topics that aren’t really understood yet.

It’s actually well known that black holes are not empty inside. It’s quite the opposite actually. They’re so inconceivably dense that the gravity from it’s mass causes the space time curvature to be so extreme that it’s basically stretching the fabric of space at a rate that not even light can escape, which is why they’re dark.

adastraperabsurda t1_j9jsmuj wrote

How unknowable it still is- the combination of known unknowns and the unknown unknowns.

The stuff of matter and energy is only 5% of our universe. And we know only a tiny fraction of that and barely understand the small fraction of that tiny bit.

The rest is 25% dark matter and 70% dark energy.

We know what dark matter kinda is. We don’t know anything about dark energy.

And we’re just whirring around a giant blue marble in all of it.

macrohard_onfire2 t1_j9jwlo1 wrote

I think it's kinda cool whirring around a giant blue marble in all of it.

johnp299 t1_j9ju8du wrote

Gamma ray bursts

Strange matter

Wandering black hole

Black holes, period

oktaS0 t1_j9juzbg wrote

The scariest are the ones we have not yet discovered. The universe is so freaking big, our tiny brains can't comprehend its size. We'll never truly know everything that's out there.

Could be an incredible number of alien civilizations, both hostile or peaceful, or it could be, there's nothing and we are the only ones. There are also gamma ray bursts, we wouldn't know, but one could be heading to us right now.

And so much more...

[deleted] t1_j9jvjjf wrote

The fact that I had no choice in the matter of existing, yet I can be condemned to eternal damnation?

I didn’t ask to be here And if god knows all He knew I’d be going right to hell

Therefor

God fills hell

uh_buh t1_j9jw17v wrote

That one theory to explain the Fermi paradox, I think it’s called the great filter.

The Fermi paradox basically says since that space is so big, there statistically should be an advanced civilization able to communicate/reach us but none have.

The great filter HYPOTHESIS states that since none have, one possible explanation could be that there is some barrier prevents civilizations from becoming a hyper advanced civilization. It could be anything from climate change to war, but some particular people say it could even be another civilization that stomps out life on other worlds once they hit a certain point in development to prevent them from becoming a threat/too advanced. This is most probably just sci-fi and some conspiracy theory sounding junk but it’s really cool/freaky to think about, because for all we know it could be true.

hachiman t1_j9jwt3x wrote

Gamma Ray Burst.

No way to detect it that i can recall, sterilizes the side of the planet it hits, and ends all life on the world.

And they happen regularly enough that we can see them happen elsewhere.

not_that_planet t1_j9jwwe7 wrote

That the technology for interstellar space travel simply is not possible at all. Current technology of chemical propulsion and gravity assist puts the journey to our nearest star (Proxima Centauri) at about 6,000 years. About as long as humans have been recording their own history.

AlacarLeoricar t1_j9jy3nc wrote

Humankind.

Worst part is, they're on the same dust ball we're on

Significant-Eye4711 t1_j9jyy55 wrote

I have always considered the jets of matter that are accelerated from the poles of supermassive black holes to be pretty damn scary. Particles in those streams approach the speed of light and stretch for many thousands of light years, they must absolutely decimate anything that is unlucky enough to be in their path

ShadyRooster t1_j9jz7qy wrote

I mean, black holes are pretty terrifying. The fact that there's a point where, if you get too close, nothing in the conceivable universe can possibly pull you back out, and we aren't totally sure what's inside them because not even light escapes. It's wild.

skinisblackmetallic t1_j9k2ibf wrote

Consciousness itself is the worst thing about universe and the only logical answer to the question, really.

Aha12300 t1_j9k2yme wrote

The fact that there’s SOO much more and I’m here stuck paying taxes

chuckcfix t1_j9k3dc8 wrote

Human Beings. Until we happen across another, more heinous entity, humans are top of the scary list.

bgd73 t1_j9jtd93 wrote

any energy with an active half life.

We are a half life ourselves.. our puny 100 yr scale.

it could all end in nanoseconds.. our silly electrons on wires, and batteries...existence.

..and we blame fire for pollution.

we are stupid and half lifed.

−1

Global-Honeydew-9406 t1_j9jvdzu wrote

I am not afraid of anything related to the universe because I am part of it 😉

−1