Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kveldwulf t1_j7uronl wrote

Actually, as far as I know, having a gas giant the size of Jupiter in our solar system is a somewhat rare phenomenon in the galaxy. Scientists have posited that it may make our solar system more likely to sustain life because large asteroids, and other celestial bodies that could easily lead to extinction-level events, are caught in Jupiter's gravity well. Jupiter is the shield for the inner part of the solar system.

Edit: typo in the final sentence.

GiraffeandZebra t1_j7uvg1g wrote

I thought it not that a gas giant like Jupiter was unusual, but that gas giants like Jupiter are usually in much closer orbits. That's how it acts as a shield of sorts for us, whereas many other observed systems have their huge gas giants in close orbits.

GhostAspect_ t1_j7v0epb wrote

Yeah, gaseous planets like Jupiter aren't too uncommon, it's just its distance from the Sun that is. As planets like those like to migrate to weeklong orbits for some reason, But because of Saturn (or maybe not, we don't know for sure) Jupiter never migrated that far into the Solar System.

VitaminPb t1_j7v435z wrote

I suspect the reason we see gas giants closer to suns is observational bias. Most exoplanets found so far are from transit of a sun which is more frequent for short orbital periods and much more noticeable in the short observation time we have had so far.

Hustler-1 t1_j7ut83w wrote

More like a big broom vs a shield. Jupiters gravity could direct a rock towards Earth just as well it could divert one.

HowsTheBeef t1_j7vored wrote

Not really, because of the size and mass of Jupiter it will trap any smaller asteroids in its gravitational well. Additionally, because it has a more distant orbit of the sun than the earth does, most asteroids will be redirected away from the inner orbits if they don't get trapped.

Think of it like playing mini golf ⛳️ and hitting through a windmill. Except the windmill blades and your ball are strong magnets. And the hole is about the size of a puckered butthole. You have unlimited balls but you can't look where you're shooting.

This analogy went off the rails but the point is Jupiter is a very good bouncer for the earth club.

Hustler-1 t1_j7vs0ex wrote

Jupiters orbital velocity around the sun is added to any object entering its sphere of influence. Its how gravitational sling shots are done on spacecraft. Asteroids will absolutely do the same thing. They'll be either ejected into a higher orbit around the sun or a lower orbit based on their entry trajectory. Whatever is trapped by Jupiter has been trapped for awhile and was the remnant of its creation.

However if a new object is entering and doesnt hit Jupiter itself or a moon it will be ejected back out of the system with greater energy relative to Jupiter. Lagrange points are the closest things to actual gravitational traps.

HowsTheBeef t1_j7vsi6j wrote

Then why Jupiter got so many moons? Can't imagine it's spitting them out from the core

I guess I count falling into Jupiter as getting trapped

Hustler-1 t1_j7vtfwj wrote

They've been there since the beginning. It probably has thousands of moons. Hell Jupiter has a ring! Its just very faint. The moons that have been discovered as of late are larger and more significant then a small rock. So they get catalogued.

HowsTheBeef t1_j7vuil6 wrote

"The beginning" wtf you talking about God put them there? It's definitely been accumulating rocks and debris since the beginning, slowly creating and collecting moons from trapped debris. Having a big gravity well in your solar system collects lots of space rocks that would otherwise have a chance of hitting a planet

Hustler-1 t1_j7vxm1q wrote

In a way yeah you could say God put them there. Jupiter, the planets, our entire solar system came from a swirling cloud of gas and debris that overtime condensed down into the planets we know today. That is why they are all orbiting the same direction and are mostly on the same planes of orbit. Jupiter has indeed been collecting debris overtime. But anything that doesnt strike the planet gets ejected back out.

I suppose even broom is not quite right. Sheppard would be more fitting. Jupiter, Saturn. All the gas giants are what is responsible for stability. They have given our solar system the stability to allow for life on Earth.

Edit: Just to be clear. Moons and objects can be caught into orbits around other planets but it's usually the result of multiple gravitational influences not just one big gravity well. Then there's other instances like striking other objects. Objects breaking apart and such.

deadbananawalking t1_j7uxssn wrote

"Social system"

Well I'm glad to know the planets have a way of talking, I'm sure it gets awful lonely out there lol

Carp8DM t1_j7uzpka wrote

Carl Sagan and other well loved astrologists have considered that Jupiter is a proto-star.

And then, can you imagine the possibilities!!

Pty_Rick t1_j7uyifo wrote

how is that possible ? with 100 billion stars just in our galaxy alone, stating that a gas giant is rare doesn t sound correct. did we check all 100 b systems and validated that all planets within?

Kveldwulf t1_j7v2hkz wrote

"Somewhat rare." Also, as other commenters have mentioned. It's not so much the size of Jupiter but the size and the location of Jupiter that is unusual.

eyadGamingExtreme t1_j7v0shm wrote

Last time I checked we have only discovered a couple thousand exoplanets

Edit: Google says 5,307