Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

stewake t1_jegashf wrote

I believe the value of Virgin Orbit being a selection for launch services plummeted with repeat failures, and loss of client assets through catastrophic failures. Hard to bring in launch revenue when no one trusts your rocket reliability.

TuckerCarlsonsOhface t1_jegcpi5 wrote

I thought the article said there were only two failures, but I can see how that would still be a deterrent. Though, if the damned is so high I would assume some would be willing to make the gamble if the supply simply isn’t there.

stewake t1_jegdndh wrote

Correct, but I believe those failures were during their first “Commercial” satellite contracts, which ended in failed orbit and destruction of client property (the satellite).

As someone in product development, this sort of failure at the start of your product launch (no pun intended) can make/break your reputation as a trusted source for that market. People will take their business to the product that is proven, rather than taking a high gamble on something that has a higher probability to fail and destroy your goods.

SpaceX has been through many failures themselves, but they broke through and created a reliable & reusable launch system at a lower cost offering. Other companies, though more expensive, have at least proven reliability and minimized failed contracts.