Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SkillYourself t1_jccp6qj wrote

Even Branson didn't give the company money without a stipulation that he gets dibs on liquidation. Who's going to sign up for a rescue funding round with that kind of axe hanging over the company? It's probably over.

jivatman t1_jccpilx wrote

There's a dozen of these smallsat launch companies, it was always obvious that, including competition with SpaceX rideshares, the market can't support that and that a shakeout was inevitable.

Rocketlab and maybe one other will come through.

The Satellite companies are a better investment IMHO.

Excession638 t1_jcevbic wrote

Notably, RocketLab is getting out of the small launcher business in the long run. Neutron will be closer to Falcon 9 sizes, if it works. When you see the only successful company in a field trying to build themselves out if it, that's not a field you want to be getting into.

ILikeCutePuppies t1_jcen89i wrote

If they had not made that one mistake on their rocket this probably would have been a different story.

LexusLand t1_jcdiqw3 wrote

RELATIVITY is only feasible competitor with launch capabilities.

−6

CurtisLeow t1_jcdxitm wrote

Relativity hasn’t done an orbital launch yet, let alone prove that they’re a viable competitor. Even one or two orbital launches doesn’t prove much, as Virgin Orbit demonstrates.

FrameRate24 t1_jce4ikl wrote

People need to remember relativity is a 3d printing company wich happens to have a rocket on the side, with the pace of growth of additive manufacturing relativity has a shot at actually doing something, but I'll eat a 3d printed hat if relativity's rockets are more than just tech demonstrators for their printers ten years from now.

[deleted] t1_jcg3pua wrote

Yeah agreed. That's the big difference with relativity. Even if their rockets don't end up mattering they still have, by far, the world's most advanced 3d printing capabilities. Thats marketable regardless of how their rocket is doing

seanflyon t1_jcdx7h6 wrote

Stoke looks good to me, but of course they have not proven much so far. I also would not rule out Firefly.

CarbonIceDragon t1_jcdwvz4 wrote

What about Firefly? They've technically made it to orbit if only briefly and not the one they wanted, which while not a success at least shows progress over companies that haven't gotten even that far, and if I recall correctly also have some kind of deal to sell some of their engines to Northrop Grumman?

Relativity sounds very cool with their 3d printing thing and I really want them to be successful especially on account of that probably leading to some interesting technological development, but surely trying new things like that also makes them a somewhat less safe bet than companies using more conventional rocket building techniques?

Aceticon t1_jcetnwd wrote

Making it to orbital height briefly is not making to orbit, it's just a balistic trajectory that happens to have a high enough apogee.

It takes more energy (possibly much more) than that to actually "make it to orbit" a state which amongst other things has the noteable characteristic that things don't just fall down from it immediatelly after reaching it (they can, over time, end up falling down from lower orbits were there is drag from the top of Earths athmosphere, but when things just go up and the fall back down again they haven't made it to orbit)

CarbonIceDragon t1_jcg4gv1 wrote

I'm aware of that, but didn't their rocket's second flight make an actual orbit, just one so low that the satellites ended up deorbiting in the next few days? Or have I been misinformed about this?

Xeglor-The-Destroyer t1_jchfrf9 wrote

No you're correct. They did make orbit on their most recent launch, just lower than the intended one.

Ruseriousmars t1_jce1u0w wrote

"Technically made it to orbit if only briefly." No need for an explanation but all I thought of upon reading that is the humorous "only a little pregnant" :)

Xeglor-The-Destroyer t1_jcdn6i8 wrote

Ah, we've reached the beginning of the end, it seems. It was always somewhat questionable whether they could make their business case close, either for demand reasons or because this tech doesn't scale up to let you launch larger satellites.

sporksable t1_jcdwm26 wrote

I would propose we've reached the end of the beginning. The VC fueled smallsat gold rush has ended; only the best positioned companies will survive.

phredbull t1_jccyctj wrote

Why is there a Virgin Orbit and a Virgin Galactic?

FyreWulff t1_jce5v8g wrote

tax and liability separation

phredbull t1_jcgtimg wrote

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

−1

IshKebab t1_jchfzb8 wrote

I don't think you know what you're talking about. Virgin Galactic hasn't shut down has it? (For now anyway. Apparently they have 800 employees which doesn't sound remotely sustainable.)

Shawnj2 t1_jcedpb2 wrote

VO was spun off from galactic at some point.

Zettinator t1_jcekv4q wrote

I think it's odd. Virgin Orbit at least has a working product. Virgin Galactic does not, and they still keep going and going...

panick21 t1_jcvjph5 wrote

VG has raised a shit ton of money that they are burning.

Not sure why its complex, one company has money the other doesn't.

Neither has a future, but one still has money.

LegitimateGift1792 t1_jcg98cb wrote

i think you have that reversed. Galactic is the tourist one. Has a list of paid customers lined up. No real future once that list is depleted,

Orbit is the "sat rocket from plane" company that has some launch issues.

Edit: Removed reference to Bezos and Shatner.

seanflyon t1_jchadit wrote

Bezos and Shatner went up on Blue Origin's New Shepard. They are a direct competitor to Virgin Galactic and have had much more success.

Chairboy t1_jcfw53f wrote

People have mortgages, grocery costs, bills to pay in general. A 'pause in operations' furlough realistically means a bunch of them are jumping ship so it's hard to imagine them recovering from this. Anything is possible, of course, but best case scenario is probably that they lose their top workers who can bring their ability and expertise to another company that can make payroll.