Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

astro_pettit OP t1_jdonvgv wrote

Black and white self-portrait in the Cupola aboard the International Space Station. I was setting up a few cameras for nighttime timelapse imagery. I stretched a cloth across the hatch opening to eliminate stray light from Node 3 (the Cupola is attached to Node 3). There was a small opening just for my head so I could operate the cameras. I had the window shutters closed for this photo since it was daytime and the bright sunlight would spoil my desired lighting effect. If you can't tell, I went to great lengths for my craft. Over my missions I have captured hundreds of thousands of photos. This one was taken during Expedition-31 to the ISS, in 2012.

More orbital astrophotography can be found on my twitter and Instagram profiles, for those interested.

Mr_nobrody t1_jdosqgm wrote

Wouldn't it be better to have the window open when taking the photos so the glare from the window isn't in the shot?

SweatyRussian t1_jdvtozf wrote

He can up his game by taking photos on a spacewalk.

Actually, all of those cameras have a remote, could you just stick them to the outside of the windows?

BProbe t1_je4kvom wrote

I mean, he could, but with no radiation shielding they would be bombarded by radiation probably eventually knocking the electronics out (have no clue on the time-frame). Additionally, if they happen to be on the bright side at any time and being black, a melt would be in order, so they'd also have to be repainted. This one is my speculation, but, probably the radiation shielding in the ISS would prevent the remotes from communicating with the cameras.

If all those issues are resolved, great pictures, barring that, just don't have lights inside the cupola and you're golden IMO!

graphicsnerdo t1_jdot4yz wrote

That’s rad. Astronautphotographernaut!

Jogaila2 t1_jdp6h9p wrote

Where's the up votes on this!?

L3R4F t1_jdsqihb wrote

In Space there is no upvotes, nor downvotes

Jogaila2 t1_jdt2d9b wrote

Good point. But i have you one anyway.

ChronicSchlarb t1_jdtjf60 wrote

Wouldn’t it be astrophotographernaut? Not astronaut photographer with naut on the end again for some reason?

Border999 t1_jdqawka wrote

How can you operate cameras with just your head?

ShingusDMV t1_jdqmut0 wrote

Voice activated.

"Hey, Google. Take a photo of that thingy way over there in the distance."

Emerald_Pick t1_jdseos8 wrote

"Sorry. It looks like there are no Italian restaurants near you."

Username_Taken_65 t1_jdrywc7 wrote

Real answer is probably that he gets all the cameras dialed in and then triggers them remotely

Zachf1986 t1_jdqov4z wrote

What's up with the severed head? I didn't expect that imagery. Getting serious Event Horizon vibes, here.

GloomyCactusEater t1_jdqit3j wrote

Are the aliens real? What do you see up there? What did the military shoot down over Lake Huron?

AssassinPhoto t1_jdqro3e wrote

So you’re just getting into photography then? Goodluck, hopefully it’ll take you somewhere. Let me know if you need any tips.

UTokeMids t1_jdrdj7g wrote

This is one of the coolest posts i’ve seen in a while, thank you for sharing your career with us. Out of the hundreds of thousands of photos you’ve taken - have you ever captured something that you couldn’t explain/identify? I’m sure there’s a chance you’ve been asked this many times so if that’s the case i apologize. It’s just rare to have the chance to correspond with an astronaut which is why i appreciate your post so much. I used to have dreams about being in a space pod but not knowing how to work the controls lol. I wish i could be an “astronaut assistant” and go to space and just be a helper. Too bad there is no such thing lol, but it’s my number one goal to make it to space before i die.

Also do you have a recommendation for a somewhat affordable camera for a young guy just getting into photography? I mainly would be taking pictures of nature, animals, and architecture. Also maybe portraits. I know next to nothing about photography tech but appreciate any advice, especially advice from an astronaut or any other fine folks with knowledge.

ByteMePlz t1_jdszc1a wrote

Go ask dp review before they shut down for good.

8huddy t1_jdqblwk wrote

I want to put this description on dalle2

dark_LUEshi t1_jdrje80 wrote

I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel to be at the pinnacle of so many things while also being able to do something you love.

This truly must feel like having the best toys in the entire world.

tomtrauberty t1_jdrrw7p wrote

Thanks for sharing. Amazing photos, especially the star trails

iota_4 t1_jdswk04 wrote

great work, great job.. kinda jealous.. :) did you see ufos?

NewDad907 t1_jdu1v6p wrote

Good man, using Nikon! I’m a Fuji man myself, mostly because I can’t afford the Nikon I’d want.