Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

cnbc_official OP t1_jeaols7 wrote

From reporter Michael Sheetz:

“Boeing pushed back the flight schedule of its Starliner capsule by several months, the company said on a conference call with reporters Wednesday."

That sentence holds true this week – but the problem is, I wrote it five years ago.

At the time, Boeing and SpaceX were seen as neck-and-neck in a race to finish development of their respective crewed spacecraft and be the first to fly NASA astronauts. Even then, each company had faced its share of delays, but NASA estimated flight tests were months apart. Until they weren’t.

Fast forward to the present. Boeing and SpaceX each won contracts to fly six operational missions with astronauts. The latter is poised to finish nearly all of its six before the former even flies a crewed demo mission.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/30/investing-in-space-boeings-got-to-get-going.html

photoengineer t1_jefaud3 wrote

Let’s hope he doesn’t get flagged for plagiarism if he has to write the same article over and over :-/

AgnewsHeadlessBody t1_jeauso8 wrote

Ahhh yes the prime example for why MBAs shouldn't be allowed to touch companies like this.

dkgetoffmylawn t1_jeaw49z wrote

I'm sorry, you aren't allowed to post this until you've gotten clearance from legal, HR, and we'll need to toss it up to the C-suite. Honestly it's probably just best if you don't think outside of the box again and focus on your metrics. Synergy.

VoidAndOcean t1_jeb02nf wrote

Every single time an MBA manages an engineering company they run it into the ground.

rocketsocks t1_jedcn6u wrote

Oh, they've been quite successful at what they want to do. They have successfully looted the company quite thoroughly. Boeing had spent nearly a century building up a strong company with a strong brand that was recognized and valued across the world. After the MBAs took over they looted everything, they trashed the brand for short term gains, they funneled all of the cash on hand into the pockets of shareholders through dividends and stock buybacks. They've enriched many already hyper wealthy folks by many tens of billions of dollars, and all it took was destruction of a world class engineering institution and a few hundred lives.

VoidAndOcean t1_jeej5zd wrote

Not how it works. You cant ruin a company for the benefit of its owners lmao.

Less_Tennis5174524 t1_jeeyj1z wrote

You dont think SpaceX has MBAs working for them?

Bensemus t1_jefoflv wrote

Working for yes. The issue is when the entire management team is MBAs. An engineering company needs engineers in upper management too.

banduraj t1_jeas28p wrote

Such a shame to see this. I really wanted to see Boeing succeed, compete and make use of their Starliner in the commercial space.

jrichard717 t1_jeau57d wrote

Me too. I know there is a lot of "Boeing bad" in all of Reddit, but it would have been very beneficial to have them actually be a solid competitor to SpaceX which currently holds a near monopoly in space. Having a competitor in this case is a good thing because it would force both companies to be on their toes and find new ways to incentivize.

dern_the_hermit t1_jeb5evj wrote

> I know there is a lot of "Boeing bad" in all of Reddit

Well, it's for shit like this, the company squandering its talent pools and pedigree with goofy management and stumbling behavior. If they can't pull a major turnaround they're going to represent sludge that slows down the whole industry, simply by virtue of their size and sprawl.

photoengineer t1_jefb8e2 wrote

I want to see them succeed too because more access to space is better for humanity. They hold the keys to their own success though and sadly have been struggling more than anyone thought they would.