Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kyflyboy t1_iudi8v0 wrote

I think this is scary because it shows us galaxies that formed as early as 100 million years after the Big Bang. That's way, way earlier than we had predicted, which means we have to significantly reassess our view of the early years of the cosmos.

That's what scary; that we may have made some big mistakes in our theory of the early universe.

Varlex t1_iudl0mv wrote

>That's what scary; that we may have made some big mistakes in our theory of the early universe.

I don't think it's scary, that's the simple development from theories in science.

More, if you find inaccuracies in your models, you can develop it.

A famous example are the relativity in classic systems by Galileo and the axioms from newton which are developed to SRT/ART. And i don't think this is the end.

Edith says: so, i'm every time happy, when big theories are false in some kinds, so you can improve it or find new theories.

kyflyboy t1_iuiq3ha wrote

I totally agree. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Was trying to highlight how amazing the JWST is, and how on it's first few photos it's forcing us to re-think some long-held theories. And of course, that's how science works. It's not a belief, it's data driven and it changes as the data reveals more information. Thanks.

[deleted] t1_iuho5bd wrote

[removed]

kyflyboy t1_iuij2hx wrote

Oh for sure. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Was just trying to illustrate how important the JWST is...already helping us refine our theories of the beginning of the universe.