Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Gonergonegone t1_itelii3 wrote

A balloon is the cheapest option you're going to find.

Mighty-Lobster t1_itf3k8q wrote

I have an idea:

Find a scientist who is already using high altitude balloons for science and just ask them if they'll let you piggyback your GoPro. Try to work out a deal. I can even give you a concrete example:

https://www.ehamden.org/fireball-1

Prof. Erika Hamden is an astronomer at the university of Arizona. She is part of a team that is planning to attach a telescope to a giant balloon and send it to the stratosphere to take images in UV. Your GoPro is absolutely tiny compared to that telescope. To be clear, I've never met Erika. I just happen to know about the project because I'm also an astronomer and I saw a talk about it recently. She seems approachable. Who knows? If you are very persuasive, maybe they'll let you attach your GoPro to their telescope in exchange for some sort of publicity or something.

Even if this specific lead doesn't work out, you can apply the general idea. There are a gazillion astronomers and Earth scientists launching balloons. You don't care which way they're going; you just want to go "up". If you email enough of them, maybe one of them will say "what the hell, why not."

LazeLinez OP t1_itf814n wrote

That’s a good idea. Thanks! I wonder if NOAA would allow it too. I know they send balloons up.

Coffee_Huffer t1_itedl7h wrote

Sugar rockets might be the next best. I've seen them go up high enough the sky goes dark, and the curve is very visible. I think balloons are probably still cheaper. Sugar rockets might be close with good planning and luck.

chabybaloo t1_itekx3q wrote

Finding it after is going to be a problem as well.

project23 t1_itfaiik wrote

Just for fun (not getting to near space), find the local rocket society and ask if you can strap on for a few launches. You get the launch service and they get the footage. Sounds like a fair trade and a really fun time to boot! Never know what doors might open.

WWolf1776 t1_itep2nw wrote

balloon... research the gas mix and pressure... if you can find a surplus weather balloon it will get pretty damn close. if you also put a simple parachute on your cam and a note you may even get it back

RowKiwi t1_itfbu4h wrote

Definitely get it back if the note offers a reward more than the value of the gopro.

RaielLarecal t1_ith1wjn wrote

Breaking news: you need ZERO dollars! Cuz your GoPro is already in space! After all, it's all space all around! (technically right?) ;p

−3