Submitted by ThereB4Death t3_z5ht2w in space

>Hello,
>
>My son has been asking me many questions about space and what astronauts go through while traveling through space - these are questions that I cannot answer, as I have very little knowledge of what any of this entails. What are some good documentaries that he and I can watch that highlight what astronauts go through (training, how they eat and exercise in space, and any other things like that which highlight their space experience)? Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

canadianstringer t1_ixw4uyp wrote

Astronaut Chris Hadfield has a ton of short clips recorded on the ISS that cover day to day life in space. YouTube would be a good place to start, he's entertaining and informative.

Triabolical_ t1_ixw6hof wrote

I don't have a documentary recommendation, but Samantha Christoferetti's "Diary of an apprentice astronaut" covers the whole process from being chosen as an astronaut to flying to ISS>

ballthyrm t1_ixw7f1c wrote

If you want the best documentary that isn't really one I would recommend theSpace Brothers anime.
It's really goes in detail into what all the astronaut have to go through before going to space and it's a wonderful story about 2 brothers.

While not a documentary it is the closest I can think of to what you are looking for.

Routine_Shine_1921 t1_ixwd2ji wrote

Besides what's already been recommended in the thread, sit with him and watch Inspiration 4's documentary Countdown on Netflix. It's very well shot and edited, and it gives you a different perspective, as this are all civilians on their first trip to space.

530Skeptic t1_ixwfl2x wrote

Seconded. There's an interesting clip on YouTube where he and a colleague are being interviewed just after returning to Earth and he notices his fellow astronaut experiencing symptoms and catches her right before she faints. And another clip he mentions that in a zero gravity environment, you almost immediately begin to have bone density loss through urine. Crazy stuff. The latter example is from a Joe Rogan podcast interview, which may contain adult language from The Host

Adeldor t1_ixwgw1m wrote

Not certain quite how interesting this would be to a child (how old is your son?), but the 2007 documentary (not the more recent fictional movie) "In the Shadow of the Moon" might fit the bill.

Another excellent documentary for any audience is I think the 2019 "Apollo 11." This shows the ground crew along with the astronauts as they work through the first lunar landing mission.

Hope this helps.

swoopyinc t1_ixxux80 wrote

This strange rock on Disney plus has some pretty cool interviews with astronauts.