Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

momentum77 t1_ixr3hkt wrote

I'm trying to imagine what the night sky would look like from a planet in those galaxies. And then the beliefs that would create in sentient beings like our ancestors.

AuthorNathanHGreen t1_ixrm0dq wrote

It doesn't happen quickly. It would just be the same sky your distant ancestors grew up with.

Old_comfy_shoes t1_ixsh155 wrote

There are billions different answers to that question, most of which would be that they wouldn't really notice.

They'd just have the sky they have, and think it's totally regular.

DanteRex t1_ixucm5x wrote

Depends. If they have the technology to see into space they would notice two supermassive black holes in their galaxy, while many other galaxies have one in their centers. They would then conclude their galaxy is merging, like we will one day with the Andromeda.

Old_comfy_shoes t1_ixupv6r wrote

Ya, once they get the knowledge, they'd realize what's happening, but it wouldn't affect them in any way other than knowing the fact.

Which would be a pretty freaky fact to know lol.

Bensemus t1_ixsb3e6 wrote

It would look basically the same with two galactic planes instead of one. Nothing would change over human time frames so it likely wouldn't affect beliefs at all.

momentum77 t1_ixv5gwr wrote

Yes, I get it's a billion year process and no change in one's lifetime. But thinking about the influence of seeing two galactic cores instead of one, might have inspired more dualistic religions that monotheistic. I dunno, just navel gazing.

mortalcrawad66 t1_ixsnhqp wrote

Well one day you won't have too. Because I think in like 100,000 the same thing will happen to the milky way. We're going to collide with a different galaxy

GSX455I t1_ixueuwq wrote

The Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy in approximately 2 billion years

BedrockFarmer t1_ixramsi wrote

What else is there to think but “We’re fucked.” when two super massive black holes start spiraling towards each other and wreaking havoc on everything in the newly merging galaxy?

−3

sticklebat t1_ixrby1d wrote

Why would we think that? Most individual star systems are completely unaffected during galaxy collisions and mergers. Compared to the vast space between them, stars and their planetary systems are minuscule.

And the black holes wouldn’t “wreak havoc” on anything but the very small fraction of stars on their immediate neighborhood.

turningpoint84 t1_ixrcopy wrote

And in 100 years or a human lifetime, almost nothing would actually happen.

BedrockFarmer t1_ixrd2l2 wrote

I guess if you are very solipsistic, sure, don’t worry. I was using “we” in the species-level plural.

−8

BedrockFarmer t1_ixrcldy wrote

Maybe I am misunderstanding what is being shown here then. Because it looks like stars that used to orbit the galactic plane of on or the other galaxy have been flung out into a huge horseshoe hoop while close to the galactic cores the gasses are even hotter with a huge jet of superheated gas shooting “down” from them.

−2

sticklebat t1_ixrg1lm wrote

Yes, some stars are out in the tidal arms, some have or will even be ejected from the galaxies, but so what? If our solar system suddenly found itself alone in the universe, it would have no practical effect on our existence whatsoever. We’d be just fine.

> while close to the galactic cores the gasses are even hotter with a huge jet of superheated gas shooting “down” from them.

You’re reading way too much into the image. There’s no superheated gas, and certainly not jets of it. It’s all just stars and dust. It’s just that their regular orbits are disrupted.

Galaxies are mostly nothing. Their densities are tiny (on the order of 10^-29 g/cc), about 10^26 times less than earth’s atmosphere. Stars are so sparse that the chance of even one collision between stars is nearly zero. And collisions between galaxies occur over hundreds of millions of years. Such collisions are disruptive to the orbits of stars and such, but they aren’t destructive in any sense.

Tutorbin76 t1_ixt5sh4 wrote

But surely it would seriously screw up our horoscopes.

"Gemini are morphing into a bus and Scorpio's tail is descending into Capricorns left foot. Bad luck will find you today"

Could you imagine the chaos?

/s

sticklebat t1_ixt7dxb wrote

That’s actually a problem with astrological signs even without galaxies colliding! Our astrological signs are discernibly different than they were a couple thousand years ago and, due to Earth’s precession, no longer correspond to the same times of year as they did originally.

BedrockFarmer t1_ixriaaq wrote

Interesting. I wonder what happens when the event horizons from the two black holes touch.

sticklebat t1_ixrn932 wrote

They merge into one black hole in a process that is very much non-destructive.

BedrockFarmer t1_ixrorom wrote

Just read the short ESA post and the answer seems to be no one knows, but they have to projects planned to try and detect both gravitational waves and x-rays that are expected from such a merger.

I suppose as long as you are not in the path of the x-ray blast, there isn’t much to be concerned about.

sticklebat t1_ixrsphd wrote

Well we know that when black holes meet they merge. We’ve observed black hole mergers and know that they release a huge amount of energy as gravitational waves, which are pretty harmless unless you’re right there.

Also, it’s believed that x-rays would be emitted, but that isn’t because of the event horizons touching, which is what you originally asked, but from the interactions of the black holes’ accretion disks and other nearby matter with each other and with the complex gravitation on the region around two merging black holes.

But yes even those x-ray bursts would be highly collimated and would only effect a small region directly in their path.

Somebody_Forgot t1_ixrg4mz wrote

Yup! And the planets orbiting those stars are completely unaffected, safe within the heliosphere created by their parent star.

Welpe t1_ixsmzsj wrote

…what? Why do you think a galactic merger would leave planets in solar systems “fucked”?

ShortysTRM t1_ixr4qiz wrote

Is it newly discovered or is it happening fast enough that we can see drastic changes?

EmergentSubject2336 t1_ixr5qbk wrote

Galactic interactions happen over hundreds of millions to billions of years. We won't even notice these galaxies move.

ACasualNerd t1_ixsps09 wrote

I'm really glad to know they have every intention of continuing to use Hubble and not just throwing her away because they have the JWST, I hope it was launched 12 years before my birth, and when I really started getting into space that's whenever I first found out about the Hubble telescope and all the really cool images it had captured. As much as I love the James Webb space telescope I am still very biased for Hubble she's the workhorse and therefore I love her

nivlark t1_ixulfok wrote

Hubble and JWST are very different instruments. They are complementary to each other, so we'll keep utilising both for as long as we can - it's been more than a decade since the final Hubble servicing mission, so eventually it is going to experience an unrecoverable failure.

HawkSwoops t1_ixsaimm wrote

Maybe a possible look into how ring galaxies can form, rare as they are

pistrel t1_ixs72uc wrote

What are the very bright objects, are these just lots of stars in the two former centres of the galaxies? Are they two very bright stars?

MegaOoga t1_ixsf03b wrote

Lots of stars "closely" packed together because of a supermassive blackhole at the center.

SquirtleSqwuad t1_ixsh07d wrote

Much like the rings the sheep and worms I've seen on Reddit lately.

Sakuna_God t1_ixtkymx wrote

This is awesome, I hope they get a closer and more clear image with the new telescope

Old_comfy_shoes t1_ixshhky wrote

I need a video that explains to me this formation with a 3d representation, and that explains to me how gravitational lensing has influenced it, as well as a simulation of events leading to this, and after wards. Get on it space scientists!

rocket_beer t1_ixuy6u5 wrote

I will never understand how people still follow human-made religions, with this information readily available 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️