Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rebellious-rebel t1_ixcvbsr wrote

Probably convert it to microwaves and transmit those to receiving stations on Earth where the microwaves would be converted into electrical energy.

lefty200 t1_ixd1wf7 wrote

You could also use it as a giant microwave oven. Heat food from outer space.

Tycho81 t1_ixd8roa wrote

Gaint space turkey for space thankgiving

mr_bedbugs t1_ixfcc7f wrote

Is that when the space natives taught the space pilgrims how to grow space corn?

wwarnout t1_ixd8alz wrote

Doing this efficiently is a formidable challenge.

SeeTreeMe t1_ixedsa1 wrote

I don’t see how this could possibly be efficient with earth launched satellites, but I guess it’s good to test it for whenever we have options to build in space.

Jobotics t1_ixgaviw wrote

electric to microwave is in the ball park of 80% and microwave to electric is about 85%, so 68% or so total. Though there may be atmospheric attenuation.

dangle321 t1_ixs0vyr wrote

The real challenge is getting a physically large enough aperture to overcome the free space path loss. As a microwave engineer in the space industry, I really don't think it's feasible. Mostly, I don't think that spaced based solar would actually produce more than it's ground based equivalent over it's lifetime once you factor in the energy cost of getting it to orbit.

PreFalconPunchDray t1_ixdgex5 wrote

I think they should aim for a shallow man made lake or structure to heat and not worry too much about precise targeting. Take the heat and use it to steam and turbine and all that. Assuming they can target the power beam at all without lethal destruction but we'll see.

−2