Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

simcoder t1_iyzk087 wrote

How about GPS? Those can be pretty high. Seems like that might be something that the bad guys might have in their targets.

Speaking of bad guys, what if the bad guys have military stuff that's in orbits that don't decay for decades or centuries?

You're right that debris is debris. But the wrench they dropped off the Shuttle and has subsequently decayed is not Kessler Syndrome. I know you really want it to be but it's not. It's just debris.

Doggydog123579 t1_iyzx5c9 wrote

GPS is too high for ASAT, and isn't the majority of satellites.

>You're right that debris is debris. But the wrench they dropped off the Shuttle and has subsequently decayed is not Kessler Syndrome. I know you really want it to be but it's not. It's just debris.

Why would it not count for Kessler syndrome?

Arakui2 t1_iz07mka wrote

Just ignore this fucking dude, he's describing the exact thing kessler is and then saying it isn't kessler. I'm convinced he isn't even reading his own arguments back

Doggydog123579 t1_iz08ma5 wrote

I'm too good of a person and try to assume the person I'm arguing with are stupid but arguing in good faith. But yeah he is definitely a troll

Arakui2 t1_iz090o0 wrote

He's either trolling or intentionally misreading terms. When I described kessler as a debris cascade to him he assumed I was leaving out runaway cascading, which would be funny if it wasn't baffling.

simcoder t1_iyzzkpz wrote

Why is ASAT the sole arbiter of potential debris? Are you now also saying you know about every single weapon system the US has in its arsenal?

Somehow given your position on wrenches == Kessler Syndrome, I'm not really sure I trust your space expertise.

lol