Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BigManScaramouche t1_j24zq4f wrote

Ooga the burning-hot-spirit-tamer, who set his friend on fire by accident, while trying to prank him, by throwing flintstones at him.

One of the thrown flintstones hit another and created a spark that set a pile of wood on fire, which served as Ooga's friend's bed.

Amazed by this spectacle, Ooga began throwing more flintstones and smashing them together and setting more things on fire inside their cave and thus - learned how to tame a flame.

At least, that's how I imagine it went.

And now, because of this, we are able to send things into space.

DedraMeero t1_j252g9f wrote

While technically an engineer. Bill Nye will always be my favourite as he sparked my interest in STEM while I was in high school.

OnlyAstronomyFans t1_j253ank wrote

My guy is Carl Sagan for this same reason, he got me into Astronomy early on.

SweetCosmicPope t1_j254awf wrote

I think it counts.

First, I think the definition of scientist is rather loose anyway. Is a bio MA who does scientific research and testing any less of a scientist because they don't have PhD next to their name?

Second, while he is not a research scientist and isn't making any discoveries that I'm aware of, Bill Nye has had to use the scientific method for engineering purposes, and he's certainly a science educator.

Black_Man_Here t1_j25192z wrote

I have a top 5 in no particular order. Michael Faraday, Nikola Tesla, Einstein, Claud Shannon.

Edit: had to add Newton

CrayonDelicacies t1_j251lzk wrote

All of ‘em. We wouldn’t be where we are without them.

Now if you asked me who my favorite religious leader is I’d have an entirely different attitude.

EmotionalDescription t1_j2539ky wrote

Since this is a space subreddit, I'd say Homer Hickam. He proves that hard work, heart, passion, and dedication can allow you to reach the stars.

Edit: I'd like to also add my 13 month old son. He's currently trying to understand and push the boundaries of his world. I love his fearlessness and determination.

AssumptionSome4201 t1_j253acr wrote

Kepler, how in the fuck he figured out that 3rd law blows my mind.

Representative_Pop_8 t1_j25471f wrote

Newton, not sure if anyone comes when close, he made great advances in a bunch of foundational stuff:

optics calculus infinite series, calculation of pi gravitation

OwlsHootTwice t1_j254kjy wrote

Marie Curie. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, the first person and the only woman to win the Nobel Prize twice, and the only person to win the Nobel Prize in two scientific fields. She was both a physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity, a term she coined. She discovered both polonium and radium in 1898. She was the first woman to become a professor at the University of Paris and she was also the first woman to become a member of the Institut de France.

Bluebrindlepoodle t1_j2586bc wrote

1. The first person who domesticated and trained a wild animal 2. The first person who figured out how to combine animals and the wheel for travel. 3. Future person who figures out how to realistically create viable long term colonies outside the solar system.

[deleted] t1_j250fxl wrote

[deleted]

indr4neel t1_j2548ni wrote

Common scientist W (in all seriousness, congrats on your success and the mark you've made).

S3guy t1_j2549ta wrote

NDT was up there, but now it seems he is a creeper, which shouldnt shade my opinion of his science but it just does. So probably Bill Nye followed by Sagan. Oh, and I know The Amazing Randi wasnt a scientist, but I do feel he helped shut down a lot of scammers who tried to take advantage of peoples lack of scientific knowledge.

space-ModTeam t1_j254cg1 wrote

Hello u/yciqn, your submission "Who is your favorite scientist of all time?" has been removed from r/space because:

• It is not related to space.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.

karna42 t1_j254lpr wrote

Feynman would be pretty fun to have around especially if u went on an acid trip with him. Dude would already blow ur mind in how he explained the world around us and how things work, but now imagine that while ur both high. Would suck to have him around when ur with some ladies though, he would be getting all the attention 😂. Hell imagine if u were in a room with all the greatest minds of history, I'd start hyperventilating for a few minutes

SweetCosmicPope t1_j255you wrote

My real answer is probably Feynman because I find his work with subatomic particles fascinating, even though my understanding of the science is incredibly limited.

For the sake of this subreddit being about space I'll say Hawking, because I've always been fascinated (and terrified) by black holes.

StrawberryWaste3012 t1_j250eqi wrote

Nikola Tesla: Wireless power was ahead of the times (although setting the woods on fire was a setback for that one.)

mikechr t1_j252prk wrote

Tesla's contribution to alternating current generation, distribution, and motors makes him a giant of the modern age. He also made Westinghouse a very rich man. But his obsession with wireless power was his downfall.