Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cosmacelf t1_j1c4axh wrote

Seems like a niche application.

“If you have a flood or a hurricane that knocks out power to an area, it takes weeks sometimes for them to get back online,” Patel said. “This system can provide temporary power during those periods until that infrastructure is built back up.”

Erinalope t1_j1c7j26 wrote

That’s just the application they’re announcing, I imagine the military would have other ideas. Nothing stealth obviously.

danielravennest t1_j1ecj2h wrote

Two military applications are forward bases, which get set up in random locations, and spy devices. Beams are steerable, so it can be aimed wherever a base ends up. Spy devices are low power, so you don't need massive space satellites to send enough.

NecessaryCat5e t1_j1ccth3 wrote

Nah, it's probably going to be used to extends supply lines. Who needs a gas generator when you can just beam electricity down when you need it? After all they are a military contractor.

ayoungad t1_j1ddh1k wrote

Niche? This is game changing remote power.
Really game changing power in general.

I_had_to_know_too t1_j1dkg6g wrote

Imagine solar powered drones adding a secondary power source that could keep them in flight indefinitely.

Cosmacelf t1_j1f70oi wrote

That would be cool. Don’t know if that’s possible though.

I_had_to_know_too t1_j1ga6mf wrote

It can be, but not if we meet new challenges with a defeatist attitude.

These small steps might not seem as flashy as the promise of fusion energy within the next decade, but they are progress that we can build upon to do new and amazing things. We just need to be willing to dream a little bigger.

quettil t1_j1f07af wrote

It would be quicker to get normal infrastructure working again than to set up a solar power receiver.