Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AstroCatronaut t1_izh9i6f wrote

I think we are looking into the inside of the galaxy as we are on the outskirts? Also I don’t think we really know what MW looks like.

Technical-Grass9441 t1_izhgtip wrote

In the (edit: Northern hemisphere), in the summer months, at night, we are facing towards the galactic core of the Milky Way. In the winter, at night, we are facing outwards away from the core.

IXICIXI t1_izhitbb wrote

What hemisphere are you in?

everybodys_nose t1_izhmvuh wrote

I thought this immediately as well. Then I realized that whether in the northern or the southern hemisphere, we all look the same direction during our nights.

IXICIXI t1_izkojti wrote

You’re quite right. Thank you. I thought OP was suggesting that at a certain time of year (at night) we would be facing a particular direction relative to the Milky Way. So I wonder which time of year that is? Assuming this to be true for large swathes of time due to our long orbit around the centre of the galaxy…

everybodys_nose t1_izuqnol wrote

u/Technical-Grass9441 mentions the summer and the winter and after more thought, I realize that you are on-point to question which hemisphere. I realized that the northern winter is the southern summer and visa-versa.

IXICIXI t1_izvu3sq wrote

It is all rather confusing. I’m in Australia so I generally think twice then doubt thrice when it comes to this kind of thing. Thanks for hashing it out w me