Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

isaacbunny t1_j0kbpx1 wrote

So their contract was extended or something? Is that interesting? Is there something I’m missing?

Only_uses_emojis t1_j0mdwtu wrote

Northrop Grumman RUINED all the ground water on Long Island because of illegal dumping. There are giant toxic plumes spreading everywhere

forbins t1_j0mnxtd wrote

I’m pretty sure Long Island was a toxic wasteland well before Northrop was even founded.

−1

slowslipevents t1_j0j9rca wrote

"...it is one of the world's largest weapons manufacturers and military technology providers."

Welp.

−10

GaLaXY_N7 OP t1_j0jg2fl wrote

Raytheon and Lockheed have us beat by a fairly large margin, especially Lockheed. Assuming you think this is bad, I never understood this logic. It’s better being the worlds largest leader in military technology, as opposed to someone like Russia or Iran. Somebody is going to continue to innovate on that front, and I’m glad it’s us. Regardless of that though, defense contracts believe or it not with respect to Northrop specifically, are actually a little over 40% of what we actually do. I work in their Transformational Computing business sector, where we’re currently innovating new ways to implement superconducting Qubits (I.e. quantum computing). A huge part of our reputation comes from defense in the media sphere because of projects like the B-21. Which is an amazing piece of engineering, regardless of what you think it from a strategic perspective.

yellow_smurf10 t1_j0lqc38 wrote

Total profit and revenue across entire corporate, yes. But Northrop space system is now the biggest space company in the world

slowslipevents t1_j0jo3hm wrote

I do not believe that working for the war business is morally acceptable.

−12

ComradeSuka t1_j0k0p93 wrote

Better stop using your phone, GPS, and the internet. You have blood on your hands.

GaLaXY_N7 OP t1_j0joe49 wrote

Fair enough. But you have to understand that 90% of the commercial efforts that go towards space exploration, (i.e. Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop, ULA, etc) do contracts with the DOD in some way or another.

ComradeSuka t1_j0k0m8t wrote

Why do you think anyone has ever gone into space?

Nazi Germany didn’t build the V-2, the first object in space, to bring peace.

While we’re at it, semiconductors, GPS, and the Internet were all developed or advanced to guide bombs to their target.

Half of all space launches, including SpaceX, are government. Most for communication and reconnaissance.