Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Engineering_Flimsy t1_j1d7spc wrote

Here's a notion I've toyed with for a very long time. I'd appreciate any and all feedback from resident experts.

For context, most here are familiar with the claim that if one could instantly jump from Earth to a point 65 million light-years distant and looked back at Earth with a telescope of sufficient power, it would be possible to see dinosaurs roaming the planet's surface.

I am aware of some of the fallacies of this scenario. For instance, problems with photon resolution in seeing something as relatively small as a dinosaur. But, it still should be possible to recognize the Earth as an inhabited planet, even if only by shambling, unintelligent beasts. For comparison, just look at how many exoplanets have been discovered thus far and how much of these worlds we're able to learn even from such vast distances.

Now, assuming the above claim to be true, after calculating where Earth was at a given moment in the past, could one not then look at this point in space with a telescope and see a past Earth?