Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BangAverage90 t1_j0yew9z wrote

With the Universe constantly expanding coupled with the fact it take a extremely long time to travel vast distances.. other life forms in the universe wouldn't even be observing us due to the fact they be seeing us millions of years ago or even more.

Could be a space civilization out there that's observed earth but the light could be say 600m years old

ferrel_hadley t1_j0yiaui wrote

>With the Universe

The only aliens we will ever contact will be in this Galaxy. Its the only place that is plausibly close enough. If they are frequent in the Galaxy, they are frequent everywhere. If they are infrequent in this Galaxy they are likely so many galaxies far away that their messages would only reach us from a long long time ago and be beyond faint.

BangAverage90 t1_j13bmr8 wrote

With our own galaxy being 52,000 light years across ( rough estimate), it bring me back to my point.... roughly 5,875,000,000,000 miles is a light year so to speak, if there is anything in our own galaxy, they wouldn't be observing us let alone the human race. So I fully doubt we will ever make contact with another life form.

If we were to, I doubt it would end well for either.

soon-it-will-be-2030 t1_j0yfvsj wrote

True, but you aren't accounting for the planets within >20 light years of us. They could probably observe us. Possibly even reach us.

DraMaFlo t1_j0yj6nq wrote

There's only 25 or so exoplanets within 20 light years of us.

soon-it-will-be-2030 t1_j0yqwx2 wrote

most of which are most likely habitable. Like proxima centuari B (I think) which is said to have oceans and is a rocky planet. However it may be tidally locked.

BangAverage90 t1_j13bqr7 wrote

5,875,000,000,000 miles roughly in a light year. So pretty much anything within those 20 light years would not be observing us.

JimCon24 t1_j0yrnvh wrote

Maybe, but, drones are a thing, so is data storage, space folding is a theory and self replication is possible. At some point in the future, trillions of self replicating probes traversing the galactic mega clusters giving us live updates on what's going on in the universe.

But that's just form the merger minds of the early 21 centaury, who knows what ideas are to come.

BangAverage90 t1_j13b4re wrote

Space is a vacuum.

No air, drone rotary blades would have zero effect.