Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_j5xtkhg wrote

[removed]

robplumm t1_j5zgcoo wrote

I feel like we keep getting "closest ever" every few months...

CUrlymafurly t1_j5zjv56 wrote

Well reason number one is we keep getting better at detecting things like this

And reason number two is scary headlines get clicked on a lot

reckoner23 t1_j5zqfvg wrote

NASA also said it would be burned up in the atmosphere so even if it did hit us who really cares.

But we live in the Information Age now. Which means all these companies will abuse headlines to get clicks.

patasthrowaway t1_j5zx9em wrote

Won't be visible with the naked eye right? 20 times smaller than the ISS and 20 times farther away

bendrany t1_j61bysz wrote

I got excited about this one after hearing repeatedly from different sources (bad ones I guess) that it would be visible to the naked eye before I looked it up and read about the asteroid myself...

patasthrowaway t1_j61f9rd wrote

Hey I'm no space scientist, maybe the thing is made of ice and incredibly reflective; highly doubt you'll see it if you live outside of latin america tho

Come to think of it, it already passed half an hour ago lol

bendrany t1_j61flyw wrote

Yeah, I'm just browsing the sub now since I remembered the local time it was passing and I figured why not go out and see if there's anything there haha.

Kinda hard when I couldn't find anything about what direction to look towards here and since it was the closest to latin america I probably had no chance anyways being located all the way up in Norway.

Always fun browsing r/space though!