Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Varsect t1_j64njgc wrote

Ok, you've won

>The hypothesis exists therefore there are scientists who at least believe in the possibility that FTL travel is possible

I've always wondered how FTL would help outside of the local group with an expanding universe.

LincolnsVengeance t1_j64o6u3 wrote

You could in theory travel to other stars in our star cluster and explore or even live there if you could find a habitable enough planet. That's so far in the future that it really has no practical application other than as an aspiration and inspiration for those doing the work required to eventual get there. There is the other problem of even at twice the speed of light it would still take 2 years to reach Alpha Centauri.

Varsect t1_j64ox1f wrote

I mean like, that's localized to the Milky Way and the local group. For extra local group travel, it'd basically be impossible.

LincolnsVengeance t1_j64pe2o wrote

I didn't realize you were referring to that kind of scale. I can't imagine it would mean much seeing as the outer edges of the universe are already expanding away from us faster than light

Varsect t1_j64qg42 wrote

Yeah. The fantasy of leaving the local group is basically not realistic and by the time we do learn to do so most of the observable universe will be concentrated almost solely on the edges of the Virgo cluster around Laniakea.