Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

danielravennest t1_j6ih89p wrote

In theory the RDRE would improve chemical rocket efficiency by about 10%. There is a finite amount of energy in any fuel/oxidizer combination set by the chemistry. Regular rocket engines use a turbopump to push the ingredients into a combustion chamber at high pressure. The expansion of the resulting hot gas is what turns into thrust.

The RDRE feeds the ingredients at lower pressure, and uses a detonation to create the high pressure for expansion. The energy otherwise used to run the turbopumps is then directly used for thrust. Turbopumps generally tap off some of the fuel and oxidizer flow to power themselves.

ProgressBartender t1_j6jsmk4 wrote

It’s all about exhaust velocity, there’s just a limit to have fast a combusting gas will expand out of your nozzle. Faster velocities can be reached with Ion engines, nuclear pulse engines or other future technologies.

[deleted] t1_j6imp08 wrote

[deleted]

−9

danielravennest t1_j6io6qc wrote

> Bakugo's Howitzer Impact

Not familiar enough with manga physics to answer your question. I only do physics for this world :-).

rawbleedingbait t1_j6joy60 wrote

Okay that's fine, but why haven't we been looking into spirit bomb technology?

dave200204 t1_j6ll589 wrote

A person's chi just doesn't provide enough energy to power a rocket, IRL.

A Chi Chi powered engine might at least give you a ballistic trajectory.

Caboose_Juice t1_j6kvl32 wrote

from what i gather, no. RDRE is basically sourcing its fuel pressure from detonations rather than a turbo pump, eliminating an auxiliary system that consumes energy. i’m not sure about anime