Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Crankin_And_Spankin t1_j61itpd wrote

I applaud the ambition…However, anyone can “plan” a mission and secure some VC funding. At the end of the day, the only commercial space company launching anything past GEO anytime soon is SpaceX so…Yeah I think asteroid mining is a little ways away.

−4

zeeblecroid t1_j61sb2c wrote

You should probably read the article before posting comments like that.

ERROR_396 t1_j61q45j wrote

I would actually have to disagree since Rocket lab is sending two photon spacecraft to Mars next year

ChefExellence t1_j63j6vb wrote

The article literally says that they're launching in October with a CLPS Lander as a ride-share.

grounded_astronut t1_j643wtb wrote

SpaceX has no interest in building anything other than transportation and information architecture. Musk has spoken about how the company won't operate any bases on Mars or the moon, but will be happy to sell rides. ... And they have done just that by selling two rides to this company AstroForge for their asteroid mining development and exploration missions.

Musk talks a lot though. If Gwen Shotwell starts talking about SpaceX developing any new products or mission profiles, you can have much more confidence in it. She sticks to the "SpaceX is a transportation company" line.

danielravennest t1_j65d7ci wrote

> She sticks to the "SpaceX is a transportation company" line.

Thousands of Starlink internet satellites are making them an Internet provider more than a rocket company. I expect them to chase any business that their launch cost advantage makes profitable.