Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Azdak66 t1_j8tola3 wrote

In true, McCarver fashion, the statement read “because, you know, if you die, that means you’re not alive anymore”.

yescaman t1_j8t649b wrote

I went to see a spring game at Port St Lucie (Mets), on our way out of the stadium we found ourselves walking next to McCarver and started chatting with him. Super nice and cordial, unassuming, talked for close to 10 minutes then took a picture with us. RIP Tim

TheFoxandTheSandor t1_j8uf3iw wrote

I hate that he passed. One of my favorite childhood memories was muting the tv so we didn’t have to hear him and then playing the radio as we watched.

Tandy__Miller t1_j8v0smn wrote

Same. Braves in the playoffs, mute the TV to listen to Skip Caray on WSB 750

Fthewigg t1_j8xqhge wrote

Not too long before she died, my mom bought my dad the absolute perfect gift. He was incredibly hard to shop for and it got old buying him the same stuff all the time.

It was a handheld radio that had a dial to adjust the delay of the broadcast so you could synch it with TV, which is almost always behind the radio broadcast. He loved it and I was envious of her getting him such a great gift. I wish I had thought of it.

BarbequedYeti t1_j8uypix wrote

This is me and Sunday night football. Like nails on a chalk board. Especially when Brady was playing. Good god...

Sighlina t1_j8v86s0 wrote

Kids today don’t know true pain and true pleasure

allanwritesao t1_j8u8km1 wrote

I know people bag on him, but he's exactly what I want in a baseball colour man: inoffensive and pleasantly Midwestern

BeerWithDinner t1_j8ujt8n wrote

Except he was southern

CesareSomnambulist t1_j8v1mqi wrote

Yea but he was from like the middle western part of the south

BeerWithDinner t1_j8v385e wrote

Memphis is a far cry from Midwestern. That's pretty much an insult around here. Tennessee is smack dab in the middle between Arkansas and North Carolina, I always screw that up for some reason. Maybe it's the authentic southern education

monkeytowel t1_j8v46vb wrote

South Carolina? You chose one of the few southern states that doesn’t have a border with Tennessee? We’re you thinking North Carolina?

Constant-Elevator-85 t1_j8ts7wq wrote

In my view, as good as the yankees were in the first half of this game. That’s how bad they’ve been now rip

MachineCode86 t1_j8u9it3 wrote

One of only 31 players to play a major league game in 4 different decades. 59-80

Edit: accidentally hit 9 instead of 8

rufus_t_parker t1_j8uyk10 wrote

Tim McCarver was my grandmother’s brother. According to older family members, he forgot about everyone when he started playing pro ball in St. Louis. I was SUPER young when I met him at Tim McCarver stadium in Memphis, and he treated me and my brother like we were fans looking for autographs.

Having said that, everyone in the family was still proud to claim him. This news is definitely saddening, and I wish I would have been able to know the man better. I hope he rests in peace.

docsavaged t1_j8uul3e wrote

He frequented a restaurant that I worked at in ATL in the second half of the 1990s, and consumed prodigious quantities of alcohol prior to an evening broadcast...glass of champagne, a bottle of wine and sometimes a final portion of something else. Great guy. Chatty, informed and charming. Rest easy...

eddiestarkk t1_j8uvva8 wrote

WWOR, Mets usually on a Sunday. I loved his voice as a kid.

Jcdoco t1_j8uy0y6 wrote

The fuck is wrong with everyone in this thread

IamNotTheMama t1_j8umhkp wrote

Once he discovered that the American League could field a competitive team he was pretty good. Before that, not so much.

AndysNotHereMan t1_j8uuust wrote

TOP FIVE ALL TIME MEMPHIAN ! Love ya Tim RIP

Dukanduu t1_j8v1919 wrote

Don’t follow baseball as much as I used to, but his voice always reminisce of playoff baseball.

kellzone t1_j8v5evk wrote

People on here bagging on his announcing. I remember him better as Steve Carlton's personal catcher. Bob Boone would catch the other Phillies pitchers, but Carlton always had McCarver.

Penguy76 t1_j8vauvw wrote

Bob Gibson has his favorite Cardinal catcher.

xr_21 t1_j8vvdjf wrote

Sure he annoyed me as a broadcaster but to me his voice is always synonymous with October baseball... May he RIP

Borykua t1_j8w2dia wrote

I grew up watching the Mets on WOR, and Tim McCarver was my favorite broadcaster. I've never understood the vitriol towards him (or Nickelback). Rest easy, Tim.

rdanby89 t1_j8wju85 wrote

I’ll always remember Koo Dae Sung making his assessment wrong before he could even finish his sentence RIP

bguzewicz t1_j8x8ih6 wrote

My favorite quote from him was something along the lines of “the knuckleball is hard to catch, it’s hard to hit, and nobody can hit Mariano Rivera.”

Rivera never threw a knuckleball. In his whole career, Rivera threw his cutter almost exclusively. RIP Tim.

[deleted] t1_j8uokpb wrote

[deleted]

drewmoo66 t1_j8uv6jy wrote

My hatred for him is so strong and well known in my circle that I had a half dozen friends text me the news today to let me know my personal nightmare was over.

Living in STL, I got more than my fair share of him. For me the final nail was the day he said Albert Pujols was built like a mesa. What?! A flat topped hill?! I don’t think you know what a mesa is you crouching blowhard.

−3

vtbeavens t1_j8uyfoa wrote

I think that Pujols had an abnormally flat head, so he was pretty spot-on.

CrasVox t1_j8v23ae wrote

One of the worst broadcasters in history. A prime example of why moving former players into the booth is a bad idea. The pairing of him and Joe Buck was a war crime.

bignuts24 t1_j8wnsit wrote

Loved muting this bro every postseason

Rustys_Beefaroni t1_j8twge4 wrote

RIP to the worst baseball announcer of his generation.

−32