Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

au92 t1_j8zohkr wrote

Pardon my stupidity, but why would he leave a good thing in KC for the shitstorm in DC?

BryanG335 t1_j8zpv62 wrote

Apparently because he’s not actually calling plays, Reid is.

fffyhhiurfgghh t1_j92tkk7 wrote

All kinds of coaches under Andy Reid have never called plays and got head coaching jobs. Matt Nagy for example.

Nopengnogain t1_j96l4d6 wrote

Kyle Shanahan calls all the plays too, and it didn’t stop Mike McDaniel from getting a HC gig after one year as OC under him. It has more to do with Bieniemy himself.

Krogsly t1_j8zxc1t wrote

He has been passed over for head coaching jobs despite what appears to be all of the qualifications. The newest leading theory is that anything he does is overshadowed by having an all-time great head coach above him, and an all-time great QB running his offense. The old theory was that he doesn't interview well.

This, of course, doesn't apply to his notably white counterparts; Charlie Weiss, Bill O'Brien, and Josh McDaniels who got many head coaching opportunities after being OC under all-time great coach Bill Belichick with all-time great QB Tom Brady. Even his Eagles counterpart that he just defeated in the Super Bowl received a head coaching job.

To escape these "shadows" he is attempting to show his skill in a lesser opportunity in hopes of showing that he is legit.

On the outside looking in, the whole thing looks and smells fishy. NFL owners have a racist, bigoted, ugly, good old boys network and they are historically bad at picking new head coaches. Something is keeping Bieniemy from getting a head coaching opportunity, and it isn't his resumé.

ClayGCollins9 t1_j90fq0r wrote

Eric Bieniemy also has numerous arrests to his name and was involved in a major scandal as a college coach.

In 1988 as a player at Colorado, Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public. He pleaded no contest and received a suspended sentence.

In 1990 he was suspended for a game and charged with interfering with a firefighter, providing false information, and harassment. Most of those charges were dropped.

He was arrested again for failing to appear after being charged with leaving the scene of an accident and driving with a suspended license.

In 1993, Bieniemy was arrested again in Boulder after grabbing a female parking attendant by the throat and threatening her. This incident caused him to be banned from the University of Colorado’s campus. He was a coach there a decade later.

By 2001, his license had been suspended a second time after a DUI conviction and multiple moving violations.

In 2004, he and other Colorado coaches were accused of using drugs and alcohol to entice high school recruits. The resulting scandal revealed at least four accusations of sexual assault by players. One of the victims was Colorado’s kicker, Katie Hnida. A Colorado staffer also hired prostitutes for recruits. Bieniemy was accused of helping to cover up the allegations. Bieniemy, and the rest of the staff, were fired for their roles in the scandal.

It’s just too much baggage for a person who’s never been a head coach before.

But the issue is not just his legal past. Vance Joseph was part of that same Colorado coaching staff and became a head coach. Matt Patricia has a very credible sexual assault allegation against him. According to insiders, Bieniemy believes the numerous violations he has committed are the result of a conspiracy against him and not due to his own misconduct. He reportedly had quite a meltdown in 2019 when he was passed over for the Colorado head coaching job,

sumlikeitScott t1_j91l0xo wrote

Someone also posted that he gets in fights with everyone. Media, firefighters, his girlfriend, other coaches. Need to be level headed to be head coach.

msmith792 t1_j92l6xo wrote

It was reported yesterday that he has interviewed 17 different times for a HC job. 17!!!!. Just let that sync in for a bit. That is seventeen different teams that have passed on him. There is something going on there.

adumau t1_j93k0c6 wrote

Why would teams even interview him then? It only makes the team look bad since they have to answer why they didn't hire him

beyardo t1_j941drh wrote

Because teams aren’t going to chat with other teams about why they didn’t hire them

Youre_On_Balon t1_j91051r wrote

Do you think the “thing” keeping those offers away could be the fact that he’s an OC who doesn’t call plays in KC? Could it be the 5+ arrests?

Regardless, Eric is going to get a HC job if he does well as an OC who actually calls plays

But that doesn’t matter to someone like you who is just intentionally race baiting on the internet

Matthew_C1314 t1_j8zzbbz wrote

I am curious as to why. I know race plays a big role, especially with such limited jobs. However, DeMeco Ryan was just hired by Houston.

Funnel_Hacker t1_j92dvko wrote

I don’t think race is playing a role. Hiring a coordinator that doesn’t do the most important function of an actual coordinator (ie call plays) is already a risk itself. Yes, it’s worked out for KOC in Minny and Zac Taylor in Cinci but those are probably the only times it’s worked well so far. And I think both of those guys come from McVay’s coaching tree, which EB is not apart of.

Now add in his long list arrests and violent behavior (including choking a woman), as well as his abrasive personality, it’s not hard to see why he can’t find a job. People want to hire someone they 1) like, 2) believe will make them money, and 3) will make them look good in front of others for making the right choice.

Would fans not be upset if your team hired a coach that assaulted a woman in his past, is not very likeable because he has a holier-than-thou personality, and hasn’t even proven he can do the job because he has greatness around him and isn’t even performing the major function of his job title?

Maybe being black isn’t helping, but it’s far from the first (or fifth) reason owners have pause about hiring EB.

Matthew_C1314 t1_j92g9nn wrote

You are right about his past. But the calling plays things is speculation. I haven’t seen the Andy Reid or the team claim that. I do believe that Reid can and will overrule his decisions though. There are a lot less qualified people that get head coaching jobs in the nfl every year. Freddie kitchens, Jeff Saturday, and Adam gase just to name a few. Gase for one had the exact situation you described that led to him being a coach except the violent past. He ran an offense that performed well with Peyton manning at the reigns and became a coach for the dolphins. Failed at that then was hired by the jets. I’m sure his race is barely playing a role, but the nfl doesn’t have a great record with hiring coaches of color.

Dreadedvegas t1_j90aua6 wrote

Especially when Reid consistently praises him and publicly questions why he isn't getting hired.

Lumpyyyyy t1_j91cewb wrote

How many of those names actually ran the offense and called plays? Oh yeah, all of them

sketchahedron t1_j91qsl2 wrote

McDaniels was terrible in Denver, accepted and then backed out at the last minute in Indianapolis, and then still got another chance with Las Vegas.

Lumpyyyyy t1_j91vtrt wrote

You’re skipping the part where he was the offense coordinator calling plays for 3 Super Bowl winning teams

Funnel_Hacker t1_j92d6qh wrote

With the greatest QB and Head Coach in NFL history. Seems like it was less him and more them, no? Especially when you factor in that LV knew about him being terrible with Broncos and backing out of Indy at the last possible second (screwing over multiple coaches and their families who had signed contracts and already moved to begin working on his staff).

You can give the Broncos the benefit of the doubt. Maybe even Indy (he just wasn’t ready to be an HC). But after both debacles, LV should have known better and deserve exactly what is happening by looking the other way and still hiring him. Historically bad decision.

dlkslink t1_j94wnaz wrote

McDaniels also got caught spying on other teams, Denver was 6-0 before he got caught, after getting caught they only won 2 of their next ten games.

Modavo t1_j93ozcz wrote

The fact that Josh McDaniels keeps getting paid is a travesty to the game of football.

StrngBrew t1_j96vowe wrote

He’s had 12 head coaching interviews. Including for multiple teams who have went on to hire minority coaches

I would agree that early on it looked bad on the league, but at this point Occam’s razor would say that Bienemy is just terrible in interviews and probably hasn’t been able to illustrate a coherent plan for how to run a team.

bogboom t1_j97o9av wrote

BB is a defensive coach who doesn’t call offensive plays. His OCs are going to be looked at as the guy running that offence.

Reid is a offensive coach and one of the best to ever hold a clipboard.

s1lentastro1 t1_j92i48r wrote

this is such a bullshit take. the racism narrative is getting tiring. this is a no-win scenario. whenever a black coach gets a chance, the talking heads say he's destined to fail; that he's put in a bad position from the start. what happened to Jeff Saturday in Indy? nobody said that about him.

how many white coaches get hired and dumped on the regular? nobody bats an eye. brian flores, lovie smith, jim caldwell, mike tomlin, todd bowles, the list goes on. it's easy to see racism when that's all you're looking for.

the only thing I agree with is that he might be choosing DC to get out from under Andy Reid's shadow. but that doesn't prove the racism narrative.

Krogsly t1_j92syen wrote

Funny that you use Saturday to support your argument, when he never should have had a chance in the first place. He was woefully unqualified and his hiring was widely panned by the same people he was on television with before he became coach. Then, when the season ended, Irsay was rumored to be ignoring people around him and attempting to stick with Saturday.

s1lentastro1 t1_j92wuvz wrote

you do realize that the Colts head coaching position was a death sentence for potential black coaches in the media, right? any time a black coach is hired on as HC of a bad team, the narrative instantly shifts to how he was set up to fail.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j93bqpe wrote

That is not always said. It is however said in cases like Culley and Lovie Smith.

People complained about Steve Wilks because he got one year.

Let's first of all remember there is not a huge sample size of Black Coaches ti make this claim but I don't remember this being said about Marvin Lewis, Tomlin, Dungy, Herm Edward's, Romeo Crennel

What has been complained about is not being given enough time in some cases to succeed.

s1lentastro1 t1_j94843d wrote

>People complained about Steve Wilks because he got one year.

did those same people also complain about marty schottenheimer, cam cameron, jim mora, mike mularkey, chip kelly, urban meyer, nathaniel hacket (to name a few) only getting one year as well?

more white coaches than black coaches have been one and done in the NFL (point being that it happens to everyone), so why are we perpetuating this narrative that black coaches are specifically getting the short end of the stick? this entire discussion is rooted in emotion. there's zero evidence which proves what you're suggesting is the truth.

conversely, if black coaches were only hired a handful of times throughout the league's history and all of them were one and done, that would make your argument appear more compelling. all it looks like currently is nitpicking to push an agenda.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j949n3q wrote

I will say it again. There are a smaller sample size of Black Coaches than white coaches because of the historical discrimination practices of the NFL.

You still don't get it. For a long time black coaches were not even hired. So there is a history here. If you are going to deny that then we can't even have a productive discussion.

In the case of Steve Wilks it's not only that you were fired but who were you fired for. A failed college coach. But let's be real this is not about these individual situations, it's about the history of the NFL purposeful denial of opportunities for black coaches

I also want you to look at the coaches that you just named. I live in Jacksonville and there us no damn way you should throw Urban in that group. He was not even fired for performance on the field. Hacket was in over his head.

Lovie Smith was fired after a 10-6 season. He was fired after one season with a team that had no expectations. Culley was fired after 1 season. The same season you had to let your franchise QB go.

As far as Steve Wilks...... Panthers would not hire him after the great coaching job he did with an organization that went into rebuild mode. Oh and who did they hire? Frank Reich who just got fired from Ondy 😂

I mean come on man, please present all sides to this.

Lastly. I named three coaches that people have brought up.

s1lentastro1 t1_j94nc9h wrote

I get the history. but you can't keep reaching for the past to justify the present. none of this matters. your points are purely speculative. how about we actually prove racism before we start saying that's what it is.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j95jxio wrote

First of all I have not said racism. I am giving you the perspective of others.

Part of the problem with people like yourself is that you are quick to dismiss perspectives of others or even hear them out out.

The other point of this conversation is showing you why people believe with the small sample size of Black Coaches we have had, there have been a disporpotionate amount of them that were not given a reasonable amount of time to succeed. No one is saying the owners are racist.

Let me also make this last point. The NFL itself has said it has a problem with minority hiring. They know more about the hiring practices and barriers than you and I. If you are waiting for a smoking gun that an owner did not hire a black coach because he is black, that is never going to happen. No owner wil l admit that. If a coach comes out and says that something was said to them that would lead them to believe they were not hired for that reason, you probably won't believe that either.

What is fair to say is the system in place does not always allow for minority coaches to get a fair opportunity to be head coaches. Again, the NFL believes this but no one is saying all 32 owners are racist.

s1lentastro1 t1_j98gvpc wrote

>there have been a disporpotionate amount of them that were not given a reasonable amount of time to succeed. No one is saying the owners are racist.

that is exactly what those who point this out are saying. if it's not about race then what's the point of mentioning their race in the first place? sure, no one's come out and boldly suggested that the owners are racist, but that's entirely the implication here when making an argument that minority coaches don't get much of a chance. if this has nothing to do with race then ESPN wouldn't be putting out race bait headlines and tv discussions every time someone thinks a black coach got shafted.

>The NFL itself has said it has a problem with minority hiring.

they're not admitting that there's a problem with racist owners, they're trying to appease the crowd who feel that way hence the Rooney Rule - which by the way is a slap in the face. if a team elects to go with a head coaching hire who happens to be white, that organization is forced to put a black coach through a dog and pony show and waste the time of both parties.

>If you are waiting for a smoking gun that an owner did not hire a black coach because he is black, that is never going to happen.

as a matter of fact, I agree. that's actually part of my rebuttal to those people out there who are quick to cry racism when it's not a black coach who gets hired for a vacant position. we don't have all the facts. all we have are opinions, emotions and assumptions.

>What is fair to say is the system in place does not always allow for minority coaches to get a fair opportunity to be head coaches.

and how exactly do you prove this theory when none of us are present for the interview process? and given the fact that there are plenty of white coaches in NFL history who only got a one year shot, how is this not cherry picking? everything seemingly unfavorable that has happened to a black coach has also happened to a white coach. but if you're only going to focus on the black coaches, then of course it would look fishy.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j98h6og wrote

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Whatever man. The damn NFL has admitted to the issues. Hell owners have talked about it. You still coming with the prove it

Here is the deal. Unless an owner comes out and says we dont hire iggggas, it's all good as far as you ate concerned.

Anyway I am watching the NBA Allstars game. Moving on

s1lentastro1 t1_j9934yp wrote

>The damn NFL has admitted to the issues.

no they haven't, wth are you smoking? lmao. what the NFL AKA Roger Goodell has said is that the league acknowledges that there aren't as many black coaches in the league that satisfies whatever forced diversity number they're looking for now that people are complaining. it's Roger Goodell ffs. he's been corny about this entire race thing since the beginning.

he's not saying the NFL has issues with racism against black coaches. he's being a diplomat and saying that more teams ought to specifically be checking boxes for race and gender.

moving on sounds good, I'm about out of gas for this topic.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j94a6u0 wrote

I can't believe you brought up Urban Meyer. Dude was fired because of a scandal.

Here is the bigger point. Thete is not a wide range of bitching when every black coach gets fired.

Oh and btw, there are white coaches people go to bat for who ate given a raw deal. Bisaccia was done wrong last year and people complained about it.

GadgetGod1906 t1_j93bukd wrote

I think we also need to be careful of taking what a few talking heads say and making that a wide range narrative.

thedrscaptain t1_j92luox wrote

Those Black coaches' situations are/were all radically different: Flores was allegedly pressured to throw games--despite coaching well with a limited roster--and refused and was definitely put through sham interviews. Love Smith clearly declined as a coach in addition to being saddled with losers. Jim Caldwell was significantly improving a perennially losing team when he was fired. Tomlin is an all-time great forever winning with a seemingly perennially rebuilding team; hired by the namesakes of the diversity-in-coaching rule. And Bowles is seemingly always on a short leash no matter the level of talent he has. Flores, Caldwell, and Bowles have legit complaints. Smith had a short run of being good and hasn't been since. History is lucky Tomlin connected with the Rooneys.

s1lentastro1 t1_j92v2z6 wrote

how does any of that differ from what white coaches go through? every situation is different. also, as a Dolphins fan, Flores was ass. he played favorites with his players and ran with two offensive coordinators who couldn't even make one. Flores' calling card is as a defensive coordinator. that's his niche - until he figures out how to put together a successful offensive staff.

El-Mattador123 t1_j8zsz5b wrote

I was wondering the same thing… not sure how much of a pay bump adding Assistant Head Coach is, or what additional resume booster that adds, but unless you are getting a head coach job, why not stick to winning Super Bowls

cowens89 t1_j9058ww wrote

The fact that Andy Reid calls the plays on offense is why EB has been passed over. He’s an Offensive Coordinator who doesn’t actually coordinate the offense. Maybe he can this new gig will give him a chance to prove it or not.

sumlikeitScott t1_j91lasr wrote

It’s his personality. Dude gets into fights with a lot of people behind the scenes.

SeanConneryShlapsh t1_j912eq0 wrote

Man he really fucked the pooch on this one. But then again, after winning two super bowls the dream has already been reached. I guess time for a challenge. Even though I think this is a really stupid decision.

tatorene37 t1_j9awhgi wrote

There’s also that competitive drive to wanna be THAT guy. Like it’s a big if, but if he’s able to have success in Washington he’ll pretty much get whatever gig he wants

SeanConneryShlapsh t1_j9azifo wrote

If Dan Snyder wasn’t the owner anymore I’d of had no problem with this decision. But I mean, it’s such a poorly run franchise it’s still amazing to me they almost made the playoffs. Also it’s really hard to grasp the fact all these young white dudes who haven’t won anything are getting head coaching jobs and coordinator jobs. It’s pretty disturbing actually.

farmer15erf t1_j8znbc4 wrote

Cant be any worse that they were before

kawika69 t1_j906um1 wrote

I also read this as if EB works out there, he is potentially in line for the HC job there or have an additional bump to his resume. With Ron Rivera dealing with cancer, at the very least, he will likely be taking on some of the Head Coach duties to take some of the load off Rivera.

RambunctiousSword t1_j926yf0 wrote

This is mostly correct but worth noting that Ron has been in remission since late 2020/early 2021 and cancer hasn’t been a public concern by him or the team since then.

StrngBrew t1_j96w9cq wrote

I wouldn’t bet on any kind of long term future in Washington for any of those coaches. Rivera probably would have been fired after this past season if there was anyone actually running the franchise.

Once it gets sold, I’d expect new management to come in and clear house from top to bottom.

Bologna-Bear t1_j90cn6o wrote

Assistant HC? Eric, my guy, they are setting you up for failure. How is not being seen a mile out?

EasternMotors t1_j913drd wrote

Not like it's the Jets or Texans.

StrngBrew t1_j96wedn wrote

There’s basically no one running the Washington franchise at this point. It’s way worse than the Jets or Texans.

It’ll probably be sold at some point in the next year.

Unhelpful_Applause t1_j928qvm wrote

That’s an L for everyone. Man still got to wait for head coaching gig.

fatboy1776 t1_j90b4g6 wrote

As a Washingtonian, I like this move. However, I fell Eric Bienemiy’s cardiologist will not approve.

sevenpasos t1_j96whbs wrote

Every time I read or hear his name my brain rhymes it to “Eric the Enemy”. Anyone else have this problem