Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JMan9391 t1_j9soypl wrote

I don’t understand how I’m supposed to be entertained by LIV and frankly, I’m confused by what makes it different than the PGA Tour. From what I’ve read, the LIV contracts are so big that earnings from tournaments seem negligible. Winning and losing is meaningless from a fan’s point of view. Meanwhile, winning on the PGA Tour seems to mean something, both historically and monetarily.

fergehtabodit t1_j9um3de wrote

TLDR - you can't make me like it , I'm already done with it.

JMan9391 t1_j9uycl7 wrote

I mean, yeah, I’ve given it a chance and it is not a good product IMO. I’m not pretending to be morally superior or something, I just want to watch good golf regardless.

caveyh96 t1_j9tdff5 wrote

I do understand the benefit to golfers securing that set pay check. I mean there are people on tour who are just getting by outside of the top 50-60.

But on the flip side does the guaranteed income ruin the hunger to win and get the pay. I don't think it does but it could be argued it does.

−1

superworking t1_j9tacgp wrote

Isn't that how most sports are though. Wins are personal goals and the financial benefit usually comes in your next contract. NHL has basically no money for star players for the playoffs but clearly winning the cup is meaningful.

−2

walterpeck1 t1_j9u45oe wrote

>Isn't that how most sports are though

No.

superworking t1_j9u5vdl wrote

Okay which other sports are players paid based on their weekly results?

walterpeck1 t1_j9u6u5r wrote

Most pro sports pay bonuses based on specific results per game or over the course of a season or for receiving specific awards.

Beyond bonuses (because I'm sure you're going to say that's not the same thing) it's less that they get paid for weekly results, and more that their weekly results ensure they stay hired and therefore paid. So their weekly results matter.

superworking t1_j9u7ica wrote

NFL is moving towards more players getting guaranteed contracts. NHL already has guaranteed contracts up to 8 years in length and next to no performance bonuses. Similar with the NBA. So this is just more of an example of yes sports are moving in that direction with some already there.
LIV also isn't likely going to be dishing out 5+ year contracts to everyone. A lot of the initial deals are based on the risk that the league fails.

−3

EatSleepJeep t1_j9uoaet wrote

All of the individual entry sports with traveling venues: golf, tennis, all forms of motorsport racing, horse racing, etc

superworking t1_j9uqdma wrote

motorsport racing like Danny Ric that had to be paid for the remainder of his contract despite being absolutely atrocious and the team not wanting to have him take up a seat? Seems like just another sport where deals are being more guaranteed and longer with less performance bonuses required.